Suunto Eon Core or Aqualung i770R Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hopefully someone reading it will realize how idiotic the notion that, after you're over the "safe" M-values, you can "re-calculate" yourself to be under them again, is. In which case my post was not in vain.

What are the "safe" M-values?

If I dive with GF30/70, skip the last minute of the last stop, and get out with a surfacing gradient of 80, is that now unsafe? How much less safe? Is it any less safe than if I started and finished the dive with GF50/80 and did the full measure of stops?

That's entirely up to you, but if you considered 50/80 "safe enough" when you planned your deco, why did you plan it at 30/70 instead? Because playing tetris on your perdix at deco stop beats going home to missus?

If, OTOH, you planned at 30/70 because that's as safe as you're comfortable with, then 50/80 is not "as safe".

That's not the point, though: the lock-outs happen after you blow mandatory deco. When you blow your deco, you are at increased risk of DCS, doesn't matter by how little. The idea that a computer can at this point "recalculate" something to "make" your risk lower is... beyond delusional.

The idea that a computer can at this point "recalculate" something to "make" your risk lower is... beyond delusional.

And who said that that is the reason to have a computer that won't lock you out?

Post #5 says computers that lock you out "abandon you". That's BS, pure and unadulterated FUD. They lock you out after you surface after blowing mandatory decompression. In that scenario, if you have a clue, you'll stay near an oxygen bottle. If you instead complain that your computer "abandoned you" and won't let you dive again, you are beyond delusional. It's that simple.

Post #5 says computers that lock you out "abandon you". That's BS, pure and unadulterated FUD. They lock you out after you surface after blowing mandatory decompression. In that scenario, if you have a clue, you'll stay near an oxygen bottle. If you instead complain that your computer "abandoned you" and won't let you dive again, you are beyond delusional. It's that simple.

If you dive a computer with GF30/70 (or some other algorithm's equivalent) and you surface one minute before the last deco stop runs out, I personally would not call you delusional for wanting your to computer to continue working and support another dive after an hour or 2 surface interval. No oxygen required.

Skipping the last minute of "mandatory" deco prescribed by a computer set for GF30/70 still puts you out of the water with much less tissue loading (at least, if you are using a Buhlmann model to evaluate your tissue loading) than you would have if you dived, for example, a DSAT computer right to your NDL and then got out.

But, you are welcome to your opinion that wanting to do that (dive GF30/70 and omit the very last minute of deco) and then do another normal dive after a normal surface interval is "beyond delusional" if you want. I'm sure you will not be surprised to hear that a former girlfriend of mine used to tell me "you are entitled to your own stupid opinion" on a regular basis. A worthy sentiment, I think.

ps. "Mandatory" deco is really only a black-and-white situation to people who don't have deco diving training (and people who got the training but didn't really understand it). Once you have the training and have some basic level of understanding, it becomes a spectrum, not a digital, 0 or 1 ONLY, subject. At which point, the difference between 1 minute of NDL or 1 minute of a deco stop is no longer the difference between a clear-thinking diver and someone who is "beyond delusional".

If you dive a computer with GF30/70 (or some other algorithm's equivalent) and you surface one minute before the last deco stop runs out, I personally would not call you delusional for wanting your to computer to continue working and support another dive after an hour or 2 surface interval.

If you didn't want to stick to 30/70 schedule, why did you plan for 30/70? What happened to planning your dive and diving your plan?

If you didn't want to stick to 30/70 schedule, why did you plan for 30/70? What happened to planning your dive and diving your plan?
I'm sorry @dmaziuk, but it is you that is delusional. Surfacing at an alternative GF, within the acceptable range, does not sacrifice safety, though it may compromise the safety margin. We all choose our safety margins, I choose to dive DSAT.

We all choose our safety margins, I choose to dive DSAT.

Do you start you dive on RGBM and switch to DSAT when your NDL runs out? And then complain that your RGBM computer locked you out? Because this is what we're talking about here, not choosing one profile and sticking to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom