Surface Interval Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dementid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone know whats up with SI scuba went by there twice today around 1130 am and 1215 pm they were not open and nothing on the door about being closed. Saw a ups delivery tag date the 13th. I also had tried calling yesterday but no answer

....I was by there Wed 11/11 to pick up a tank (visual/fill) and spent probably an hour or so shootin' the breeze with Rick that afternoon......nothing seemed amiss and we talked about trips and such.....I think some were doing a techie (deep cave) trip this weekend to Lake Amistad but no idea why nobody was there this today to 'hold the fort'....sure hope nothing 'bad' is going on !

Here's what I know. Disclaimer: I actually know nothing. I could be completely full of myself (or something else).

I stopped by the shop on the 12th, 430pm. Talked to Leslie. I picked up a few items. No big deal. Had a great conversation. No problems. Leslie did mention that she wasn't feeling well. Maybe she is just out due to illness? If the rest of the gang ran off on a techie trip, maybe no one has bothered to place a sign on the front door? Maybe? I dunno know.

John, is this the trek were the owner was suppose to have hit 528ft./CCR in Goodenough Springs cave???? I heard this from someone-?

Just FYI---
Passing the sidemount restriction at 220ft on a back mounted rebreather is going to be interesting.
Not to mention the Optima has a limited time and duration for the Micropore scrubber. The scrubber was dove to 400ft in Florida in a no flow environment. This will be considerably different.

I sure hope all goes well or it will be a heck of a mess to clean up.

From Chuck Noe-
Goodenough Springs Exploration Project - Notice of Complaint

Link- http://www.cavediver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11771

As far as I know the shop is still in business and there are no intentions of closing it. This is the weekend that the techies are planning to dive Goodenoughsprings. I talked with Steve earlier in the week as he was blending his mixes for the planned deep dives. Looking at this link in the previous post and the date, I am wondering if they actually got to make the dive.

I suspect that there was no one at the shop because they all went diving. Not sure if Leslie went to Del Rio with them or not. I do know that she has not been feeling well lately.

However, at a minimum, a sign on the door would have been nice. If I had been called or notified, I could have worked the shop. (probably poorly, but at least the doors would have been open for basic stuff)

Randy

Just FYI---
Passing the sidemount restriction at 220ft on a back mounted rebreather is going to be interesting.
Not to mention the Optima has a limited time and duration for the Micropore scrubber. The scrubber was dove to 400ft in Florida in a no flow environment. This will be considerably different.

I sure hope all goes well or it will be a heck of a mess to clean up.

From Chuck Noe-
Goodenough Springs Exploration Project - Notice of Complaint

Link- Goodenough Springs Exploration Project - Notice of Complaint - Cave Diver's Forum - Cave Diving Resource

...I was told by Rick @ SIS that the expedition was OC...no rebreathers involved.

All very interesting. Andrew I have talked with Chuck Noe and several other in the 'official' expl. team and knew of the rules. Andrew thanks for the post. The ending of this tale should be good reading.

As far as I know the shop is still in business and there are no intentions of closing it. This is the weekend that the techies are planning to dive Goodenoughsprings. I talked with Steve earlier in the week as he was blending his mixes for the planned deep dives. Looking at this link in the previous post and the date, I am wondering if they actually got to make the dive.

I suspect that there was no one at the shop because they all went diving. Not sure if Leslie went to Del Rio with them or not. I do know that she has not been feeling well lately.

However, at a minimum, a sign on the door would have been nice. If I had been called or notified, I could have worked the shop. (probably poorly, but at least the doors would have been open for basic stuff)

Randy

...yeah, it's a little bit unprofessional to run a retail dive shop like that...I like SIS and the people running it...so it's not a huge deal to me....but if you port/advertise regular retail open hours, one should stick to them....and if there is an exception, put a 'back @ 1:00 PM' sign on the door at least...or additionally, update the phone answering machine with that info......or update the WWW site and at least let the 'regulars' know they should perhaps call/ ck the WWW before driving in to see if there is a schedule change/exception that day. At the very least, the long time 'regulars' are probably OK with that as they would just know to check in ahead of just driving in anyway. I know the economy hasn't been friendly to LDS lately, so I understand the pressures on paying staff to man-the-fort in a low-traffic environment....but it is important to be 'reliable' in having predictable hours of operation. I do remember my 1st 'relationship' with a 'real' (tech) LDS (Southern Scuba I think was the name, it was years ago...they were in I-35 near the Alcon Labs plant).....and I remember watching that shop slowly 'die'....hours of operation constantly cutting back...eventually he went to being open 'by appointment only'...which was really akward as I felt pressure to buy a bunch of stuff just to justify the owner meeting/opening the shop for me....long gone were the days we could just talk about diving/trips/learning....and of course not too long afterward Southern Scuba was no more....a long slo-mo death spiral.....and that was well before the economic 'crash' of 2007. I'm certainly not saying anything bad is happening @ SIS......I have no idea how they are doing financially....but unfortunately I've seen a lot of LDS in the DFW area 'die' since I was certified in 2001...so I get a little nervous when I see shops exhibiting the 'symptoms'...i.e. flaky hours. A one time 'incident' is one thing......a developing 'pattern' is something else......

I sent them an email asking if they were going to be open on friday because there was no one there and they replied back saying that they had a medical emergency come up and said if i had an immediate issue to call his cell number

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom