Support your Dive shop- Local or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since I am working on my DM with my shop, I got the opportunity to go to DEMA and really see things from a different perspective. Our shop is going through a change of ownership and I am excited to see where we are headed! Good things to come and I am very happy to be a part of it. Since I started diving, I have been through a few shops, and there is nothing like finding the right fit for you as a diver. I am lucky to have a shop that I feel that I am part of the family and that when it comes to training and trips, I am with a group that keeps me safe along with allowing me to have a great time! From prior bad experiences with my first shop, that means alot to me!

Happy diving with Scubamarket USA!
Carolyn:shark2:
PS: I always try to support the shops that I utilize when I dive abroad, especially if they are a great outfit. I always come away with one of their tshirts. Nothing like advertising to help them along the way too!

I am sure this will spur some healthy debate...

SUPPORT A DIVE SHOP! There are ALOT supporting you here on SB and in your local area.

I believe in supporting my local dive shop. Sorry if online stores don't like it but you need to support your local shop! By local I mean the dive shop closest to me that best supports the local dive community (local but not the shop right around the corner) and makes an effort to encourage diving here. My favorite dive shop is not the closest to me but the best in the area by far and the help and advice I get is worth what I pay for (by the way I don't overpay to buy from them!). So yes - SUPPORT A DIVE SHOP - AND MAKE IT LOCAL.

Last edited:
I couldn't care less whether a business "promotes diving" or brings new people into the sport. In fact, I'd prefer that there be less divers. Aside from the OP's tenuous link between fewer divers in Bonaire and more cruise ships, is there any evidence that dive tourism has contributed to preserving a coral reef somewhere? I would be receptive to that argument if I saw some evidence to support it. I understand the theory--the idea that a locality has financial incentives to conserve the reef in it's pristine natural state for the benefit of paying tourists--but I haven't seen it actually work anywhere. Perhaps the immediate financial incentives to build hotels and berth cruise ships in pristine environments to accommodate dive tourists outweigh the incentives to conserve a reef.

Gear innovation? I'm having a hard time thinking of a gear innovation in the last 20 years that has made my diving significantly more enjoyable. Oh, I have the gas-integrated computer with the digital compass--cool gadget. But if I didn't have it, it wouldn't impact my diving a bit.

Yes, things would be more expensive if there weren't other divers to share the cost of a liveaboard or a manufacturer's equipment production; but in my opinion, it would be worth it to have the dive site to myself.

Most recent example would be George Bush's presidental action in to include more areas as preserves. If there were no interest by the scuba ecological community and the scuba tourism community, I doubt this would have been done. When you are a small group with little resourses, influencing others is the only route you have.

I support my finances and my diving activities. That results in my doing business with a number of scuba retailers and related businesses.

Most recent example would be George Bush's presidental action in to include more areas as preserves. If there were no interest by the scuba ecological community and the scuba tourism community, I doubt this would have been done. When you are a small group with little resourses, influencing others is the only route you have.
I took note of that and applauded it at the time. Sylvia Earle, who is in fact a diver and marine biologist, was credited by Bush for influencing him to declare the preserve. I think it is a reach to jump from there to the conclusion that the "scuba tourism community" had an impact.

I took note of that and applauded it at the time. Sylvia Earle, who is in fact a diver and marine biologist, was credited by Bush for influencing him to declare the preserve. I think it is a reach to jump from there to the conclusion that the "scuba tourism community" had an impact.

And you really think in America that one person could have such influence? I wish. The biggest benefiaries of any national parks / preserves is the tourism industry so they are always in support. Declaring these areas preserves really didn't mean squat to those outside the diving community.

I am not telling you to do anything. I am simply stating that some people do more for the sport than others. Support those supporting your Hobby.

Example:

There are 2 shops in town....same pricing, same products, same service....and the both own a quarry...Good, because you like to dive.

One of the shops quarries has more stuff in it. They routinely go out of their way to clean the underwater attractions and add new stuff for you to look at while they play Jimmy Buffet on the underwater speakers.

The other shop just takes your money and buys a Hummer with Lambo doors on it.

Who are you going to support? Where will you buy your equipment? The guy working hard for you or the guy doing nothing for himself? One is trying to further the sport AND make money....one is trying to make his wallet fatter.

Nobody is telling you where to buy. The wetsuit maker might also be donating 10% of each purchase to a Save the Reef fund or something....or donating money to sinking the Vandenburg 2.

If you had 2 choose between 2 wetsuit companies...everything is equal except one donates money BACK into your sport of diving...puttin your money back to work for you....which would you choose?

I was totally with you until Jimmy Buffet was mentioned... not sure now if I would want to dive with either of those shops. :rofl3:

Seriously, I see your point. In your original post, you did mention that you didn't want this to turn into an online vs. LDS debate. Unfortunately, by merely mentioning that, it seems like the thread has turned very much into exactly that. I see the debate more as being about supporting a business that offers the full range of what a customer expects: Service, knowledge, selection, value, support for both the local diving community as well as broader support for the global scuba community, ethical business practices, etc.

It's a 90 minute flight to my closest LDS that offers a reasonable selection of equipment, courses and trips, and the staff is incredibly friendly... but they also charter boats to the same divesites for groups intent on spearfishing the local fish populations into oblivion. It leaves me in a bit of a dilemma when it comes time to decide with whom I will make a purchase. :confused:

Depending on the immediate circumstances, I believe a customer will base his decision somewhere in that range between "getting the best deal" and "doing what's right for the greater good". All hail the shop (online or brick and mortar) that can provide for either end of the customer spectrum! :)

In the end, I think I'm just paraphrasing the thoughts that you have expressed. My point (yes, I did have one) was simply to emphasize the incredible array and diversity of both customers and shops. Kudos to the businesses out there that can appeal to widest range of customers, support the diving community, and turn an honest profit (not necessarily in that order).

Eventually the "local" versus "online" debates will fade away as businesses and manufacturers abandon the old school business models and move into the real world. My local shop just closed (sadly) it's doors. Nice people but poor business practices. In this economy many will fold. The bottom line for ANY business is that you HAVE to make some profit. The more you make the more cash you have to expand your business, offer better pricing (by selling more volume) and hopefully better services. But you have to have fair and competitive pricing as well. Overcharging to pay the rent etc. is just not going to work. You have to have some decent inventory, not just a few shop brands. Customers want choices and don't want to be steered into anything. I've seen too much of that. And customers want what they want, YESTERDAY! That's just a fact, it's too easy to log on from home and have whatever you want overnighted to your front door. Maybe not the best option for newer divers. But for experienced divers why not? I can get exactly what I want, when I want, cheaper. I've seen BIG $ customers sitting around waiting for WEEKS/MONTHS on end for something I could have gotten for them in a day or two. The warranty issue is BS. Everyone provides a decent warrany. The major issue that I still see is for gear such as regulators where the manf. won't warranty parts if you don't buy from an "authoized" dealer. I see that changing sometime in the near future. No problem for me as I service my own regs. Just find the shops/dealers that offer good service and fair prices and support them.

Yes, exactly. As I said, what ever will be will be.

In my 15 years of diving in central TX, I've seen 4 LDSs close shop and looking for one more to go real soon. It is not that we are minus 4 shops as others have opened to fill whatever void was left. (100% turnover) I'm just glad I was not and am not dependent on any one of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom