Support Our Troops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeS

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
My son is in the U.S. Army in Kuwait. He has been there since April of last year. He went there on a six month tour and has yet to come home. The biggest complaint is that they’re running out of toiletries; q-tips, shaving cream, tooth paste, toilet paper, shampoo, soap, etc., and snacks. If you’re interested in supporting our troops in a small way, you can send a small care package to them at the following address, and he’ll make sure it gets to a fellow soldier:

GI Joe/Operation Q-Tips
C/O SGT Justin Mallard
TF 297th MI BN
APO AE 09304

With all of the news stories going on about anti-war protest, IMHO it’s important that we show how much we appreciate the sacrifices our troops are making. More important than any material goods you can send would be a letter expressing moral support and gratitude. A few dollars and minutes out of your time would have such a great impact on the moral of those we’re counting on!

Even better, if you have friends or relatives deployed there, take the time to research their addresses and send a package to them.

Thanks,
Mike

The U.S troops are in my prayers all the time. I wouldn't let the plague of American anti war protesters kill your spirit! I don't think these brave troops will either. You have to Remember that 75 percent of the silent majority supports this war. It is just the loud minority that gets too much press. Personally I think these protesters are a useless waste of time and resources. The war will go on if they like it or not. In the end America will be victorious and so will the Iraqi people after another dictator is gone. Too bad the Anti war protesters have a hard time seeing the greater vision. These protesters should also have to pay for all the resources they tie up! ( Police, fire, ambulance) and take away from the work these resources should be doing.

America's freedom past, present, and future was not and is not free! There is a price to pay and a price already paid. If you left it to these protesters then America would be another Iraq or an Afghanistan.

raxafarian once bubbled...
I think sending stuff is a good idea... but I heard that they do not want unsolicited mail sent. Only from friends/relatives.

You are correct. As of Sunday they put out the word to stop sending unsolicited mail and that only the mail from family and close Friends is welcome for a short period of time.

#1 Right now the mail center at fort dix/ McGuire Air force base is severely overrun with mail and packages. The staff can not keep up with the processing and the troops are lending a hand in the areas that they are allowed to work. The packages have to be screened just as if you were carrying it onto a plane. Any idiot can address a package to go to our troops and have it blow up somewhere over the Atlantic or pour some powder into an envelope.

#2 Getting the mail to the Individual men right now is not possible. Everything is moving so fast that the mail can not keep up with the soldiers. The supply lines can not keep up with food, water, and equipment maintenance let alone mail.

#3 (opinion not proven as fact) I don't think too many of our folks have time to open and enjoy mail right now anyway. But on the other hand....it takes an average of 3 weeks for packages to get routed to the individuals anyway.

Well, my eight years in the Army taught me that if nothing else the Army knows how to get the mail through, they can deal with the problem of too much mail. A lot of packages and letters will fit into a C5. There is no doubt in my mind that congress will fund whatever it takes to get the mail through.

Yes you probably need to address letters and or packages to a specific soldier; take the time to get the name and address from a friend or relative. Nothing would make my heart gladder than to see a 60 Minutes Segment on what to do with all the mail of support.

Send them baby wipes.. I am a Marine, and when ever we go out, we like to take baby wipes.. Sometimes showers aren't around, and sometimes you just want to wipe your face.. They are great.. Avoid the "Can" style. The little bags are much better.. I also found these good to take diving.. Wipe the salt off your face.

I know one chain store int he area is collectiing donations for the troops, though i can't remeber the store. If you want to contribute and do not have someone to send stuff specifically to that is probably your best bet. I would also think that the Red Cross may also be willing to help out the troops and accept donations.

Fortunately here in the conservative Cincinnati area i haven;t seen too many protestors, but they really should consider the harm they are doing and the lack of impact they are making on the war efforts.

A word of warning for any potential protestors in my area, you don't want to block my way to or from work.... I have no intention of slowing down. But i guess it will take more than the dozen or so people that have shown up lately to make any major impact in town.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom