Support America's Servicemembers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chickdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Whether we agree or disagree with the administration's stance on Iraq, the fact is that there are currently a number of American servicemembers currently deployed all over the world. These men and women do not make policy, they simply follow the orders given by their superiors. They do, however, deserve our thanks and support as they make tremendous sacrifices in order to defend our rights and freedoms.

This is a subject near and dear to me, as a number of my dive buddys and close friends are servicemembers, some of whom are currently deployed. I would like to ask all of you to take a few minutes and think about what you can do to support our servicemembers. Following are some of my favorite websites. For those of you who don't agree with the government's policy toward Iraq, please remember that supporting our servicemembers is not the same as supporting the impending war.

anyservicemember.navy.mil- send email greetings to servicemembers.

defendamerica.mil- scroll down the page and click on "support our troops" on the left side for suggestions of ways to support our servicemembers.

My personal favorite:

operationuplink.org- donate money to provide servicemembers with free calling cards so that they may stay in touch with family and friends back home.

For the other nationalities represented on the board, I would encourage you to research how to support your own country's servicemembers.

Thank you.

Sent another couple of messages, as I have done several times in the past.

Thanks again for the opportunity.

I also know people who are currently deployed over there.

Support all our armed forces!

Great post Chick.

I was listening to the radio on the way to work this morning. A vietnam vet called in with almost the exact same sentiment.

He told of his experiences after coming home from the conflict in Vietnam, and it was disgraceful the way he was treated.

Aside from name calling, he was assaulted, his family was threatened, and someone even went as far as to throw urine on him.

Just because he chose to serve his country...

Even if the policy makers calling the shots are wrong, our servicemen are still doing their duty when they defend us.

A lot of Americans should really show more respect for that.

Chickdiver;

Very well written post, and thank you for posting that. I just sent a message myself.

Like you said, there are some who are opposed to war, but we still have to support our troops, because without them, where would we be? This great nation would not be what it is now without our fighting forces.

We LOVE those calling card!!!!! They are expensive here(Okinawa, Japan) and you don't get much time to call back..

It's a pretty big even when the Battalion Sergeant Major hands them out.

Chickdiver I would agree with you but just dont limit it to US servicemen and women. the Uk has a number of folks on duty in the gulf on land and sea, As do the aussies and the Canadians have men and women engaged from the begining in Afganistan and a good number have been standing guard aboard vessels like HMCS Vancouver for the past 12 years as part of Enduring Freedom. Bulgarian and Italian peacekeeprs in Bosnia and Kosovo, Canadians have been on the Crete and Golan heights for 20 years before I left the service in 1979.

I salute all of them regardless of their countries policy right or wrong they stand in harms way in defence of their fellow man.

Cherry

Cherry,

I completely agree with you, and at the end of my post encouraged all people to support their country's servicemembers.

dsgobie:
Glad to hear you guys like the calling cards, I know my friends appreciate them! I think that is a great program!

I heard another good story on the radio today.

Several uniformed service men went out to dinner with their wives before their deployment. As they were eating, several patrons patted them on the back as they passed by, but never said a word.

At the end of their meal, when they got to the cashier to pay their check, they were informed it had already been taken care of.

Sometimes it's just the little things that really show appreciation.

Great post, ChickDiver. I knew about a couple of the sites that you mentioned, but the operationuplink.org one was new to me. What a great idea! My donation is on the way.

Rick

Back
Top Bottom