Discovery Channel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoya97

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions as to how we can combat the media and it's warped impression of Sharks into something more realistic.

I just saw the latest advertisement for 'Shark Week' on the Discovery Channel. It begins with ominous music, and a view of a diver from below. As kelp drifts by, print (I think, only saw it once) appears on the screen saying something to the effect of ‘He’s watching you….. he’s been watching you for quite some time…. And you don’t even know he’s there….’ Then the announcement for ‘Shark Week’ blazes across the screen.

SIGH. Yeah, okay. Let’s drive more people out of the water! I mean, for me, a week doesn’t go by without someone asking ‘You’re a diver?!?! WOW! Aren’t you afraid of SHARKS?!?!?’

Some folks can argue that it’s a good thing that less people in the water makes it more enjoyable for us. However, my concern is the ecology of it. Specifically, no one is all that upset about Shark Finning. They seem to think that since the only reason for the Sharks existence is to maul humans at the first opportunity, then killing them should be a good thing.

I can’t help but wonder if the good folks at the Discovery Channel were to have a “Bear Week’ or “Wolf Week” would there be support for the widespread slaughter of them as well?

I sent them a nice letter last year hoping that they would see the potential adverse effects of their Shark Week campaign, but I think profits are much more important to them.

Perhaps if others were to send in some letters, or make other recommendations, we as a group can help change the perception of sharks as roaming killers of any humans that are foolish enough to enter the water. But I think our first goal is to remove the Shark Week presentation or at least change it from the focus on killers to important contributor to the ecosystem.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Hoya, do you have a copy of your letter that you could e-mail out to others so that they could modify it a bit and remit it to the ,now, Science Channel?

Hoya97:
But I think our first goal is to remove the Shark Week presentation or at least change it from the focus on killers to important contributor to the ecosystem.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks
If you watch any nightly news broadcast you'll find that the top stories deal with violent crime, war coverage, scandal, etc. Why? Because it sells. They are intersted in getting people to watch their channel so they can sell advertising time.

The Discovery Channel is just another media outlet which wants people to watch their programmnig so they can sell advertising blocks. People are a lot more likely to watch something like Shark Week when there is a sense of danger/etc involved. The majority of people are not going to run home to watch "Shark Week: The Misunderstood!" or "Sharks! The gentle giants of the sea".

I understand your point and 'feel your pain' however you have to remember who is broadcasting the show. I like the Discovery Channel and I think their programming has some great content, but I do watch with a grain of salt. There is always some slant or spin on the information being their opinion on something or entertaining their viewers at the expense of actual fact. Not good but it happens and should be expected. It should also be noted that TV programs should spark an interest in something and not be ones sole source of information on a subject.

What is 'ideal' and what is 'reality' rarely are one in the same. I applaud you for trying to change things but don't get your hopes up.

Just remember, you're dealing with a channel that blames the Kennedy assassination on someone new every year just because "The Men who killed Kennedy" is one of the most watched series there annually. I just miss the days when documentaries at least sounded totaly factual.

The immediate and best solution would be to get rid of the media outright, becuase they over sensationalize everything.

But the practical solution is to educate those you come into contact with. I have shot alot of shark footage, Bullsharks in the Blue hole of Belize, Reef sharks feeding in the bahamas, etc. I usually have a clip or two running at the beginning of class while people are settling in. I explain how sharks behave and show video proof of it.

Like combating all the misconceptions and myths out there.
The best way is to educate.

I hear other instructors telling people things like,
" don't wear jewlery when you dive it will attract baracuda...."
"Stay 4-6 feet from the wall so the moray can't get you..."

Everytime there is shark attack AOL has a link to shark info, with varying tag lines that state words to the effect of, "Find out about these marine man-eaters.." and then there are pictures and info with nurse sharks and carpet sharks.

Give me a break

RIDIVER501:
Like combating all the misconceptions and myths out there.
The best way is to educate.

"Stay 4-6 feet from the wall so the moray can't get you..."

Makes you laugh doesn't it? I do.. I can't help it. Peoples expressions say a lot when they dive with me to.. they stare at my necklace and watch and think I'm insane. :)

Everytime there is shark attack AOL has a link to shark info, with varying tag lines that state words to the effect of, "Find out about these marine man-eaters.." and then there are pictures and info with nurse sharks and carpet sharks.

Give me a break

Right on :)

Grumble,

Kracken, I have a copy of the letter and will include it tomorrow. It contains a lot of the same stuff that I recounted in my posting, but maybe if someone would take the time to modify it and repost it, then we could start a mini-media campaign.

The rest of you: Can’t agree more! I know, “If it bleeds, it leads” I was reading a book on the media (if you’re interested, I’ll give you the exact title and page number) where the author states something to the effect of “…the reason why there were so many shark attack reported in 2002 is not because there were more shark attacks, but because it was a slow news cycle.” I know we can’t get rid of the media, and I know that the Discovery Channel has an agenda, but in addition to the aforementioned letter, perhaps we can do something else to educate the general public.

I would love to recommend to the folks at the Discovery Channel that they may want to do something about Shark Finning during an upcoming special. Also a piece where they are shown as an essential part of the ecosystem may be another idea.

Regarding the comment about what other instructors say about Barracudas and Moray Eels, then I say ‘shame on them!’ I’ve been diving for a very, very long time in a lot of areas around the world. I have NEVER seen a Barracuda ‘attack’ a diver. I have NEVER seen a Moray lance out from its hole and chomp a diver, without provocation. We should all work to dispel those rumors.

Regarding myself, I tell my students that 99% of everything in the sea that can poke you, bite you or sting you does so only AFTER you have done something to it. For example, you have to step on a sea urchin – they don’t launch their spines at you! You have to run in to the Jellyfish – they don’t pursue across the reef in an effort to snare you! You have to brush up against the fire coral for it to burn you – as it’s pretty hard for a piece of fire coral to make any movement at all!

I’m sorry if I’m off topic, but geez, folks have to start realizing that the sea isn’t a soup containing critters that are all lying in wait to sting, bite, snare and poke unsuspecting divers. It’s attitudes like these that result in general indifference regarding our oceans, and in the long run, we’ll all pay the price.

So again, any suggestions about ways to combat these prevailing attitudes would be tremendously appreciated!

Again, thanks for letting me rant.

yknot:
I just miss the days when documentaries at least sounded totaly factual.

Just like when Michael Moore gets caught up in a outright lie, and defends it by saying documentaries are not about the truth, but rather about perception. :eye-popin

RIDIVER501:

Well, I know it might make some of you snort your orange juice through your nostrils (put down the glass before reading), but are you saying this is a myth? Someone told me this the first time I went snorkeling- it is not true, evidently? This is why I love this board, I learn a little more every day.

Cudabait was attacked by a barracuda, but I don't know the circumstances. Maybe he'll share his story if he hasn't already.

Foo

no, actually, barracuda ARE attracted by shiny things. i can't count the times
a barracuda has come to investigate the glint off my wedding ring.

the danger is when they mistake the shiny thing for the scales of a fish and
take a bite. this only happens in low vis, and only because the barracuda
is confused as to what it is biting.

so... the lesson really is, don't dive with shiny things in low vis because a barracuda
might confuse the shiny thing for a fish and bite you.

Cudabait got bitten by a barracuda (http://scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=353484&postcount=10); it happened at night and probably because the barracuda was confused as to what Cudabait was. however, this is fairly rare.

Back
Top Bottom