Discovery Channel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In regards to Discovery Channel's portrayal of sharks, as I posted on another thread it seems that how objective their portrayal of these creatures is seems to depend on how much you're willing to pay for your cable or satellite service.

On basic analog cable they've got the usual "Shark Week" stuff and promotional tie-ins to the movie "Open Water." That's when they're not airing some home/car/personal makeover show.

However, if you have a high definition TV and subscribe to Discovery HD Theatre they actually have some decent programs on sharks. They recently aired "Sharks Under Glass" and "Blue Realm -- Shark Business." Both programs talk about the misconceptions about sharks and how the media and Hollywood, along with irresponsible fishing, are helping to decimate shark populations (of course they fail to mention their own programming on the analog side of the dial).

The latter program featured Dr. Erich Ritter where he talks about the circumstances that led him to being bitten by a shark. Despite the gruesome injury that nearly cost him his leg (if not his life) he still doesn't believe sharks to be evil creatures. In fact only a few months after the incident not only did he get back into the water with them but he did it in the exact same spot where it happened.

I have to jump in on this one because my sig derives from the very promotional ad that started this thread. The ad starts with a diver on the surface and text (depicting the shark's point of view) being displayed underneath. It goes something like this:

You can't see me..
But I have been watching you...
For a long time.

I am not a murderer...
I am a killer.

And in one instant...
I can change your life...
Forever.

This is my world...
You just swim in it.

I think that this promo definitely invokes fear. But more so, I come off that with a greater sense of respect for the power of nature. This promo illustrates our foreign state when we enter the water. I believe this ad humbles our own arrogance by reminding us that we are not always in complete control of our environment. I also think it displays the fact that sharks are not stalking man eaters (murderer), but are perfectly able predators in complete control (killer). This includes, in this particular instance, our well-being. And that demands respect.

IMO, I think what the Discovery Channel does for sharks is a good thing. I have never seen a program on Shark Week depicting sharks as mindless killers like Hollywood has. However the Discovery Channel will air programs that dive into the realm of fear that most have been brainwashed with since childhood. Other programs illustrate shark's immense physical and sensory abilities and advantages. These programs definitely entice the viewer and receive great ratings. Shark Week is after all the most highly rated specialty series that the Discovery Channel runs and has been since 1990.

Not all Shark Week programs are about the "man-eaters". Just this season, one episode was dedicated to nothing but sharks smaller than adult humans and was very informative. In fact, almost all Shark Week programs will make fun of the absurdity of Hollywood's "intelligence" on sharks.

Since most of us here have more sense on the issue of sharks than the general public, we know to take some of the claims made on some Shark Week programs with a grain of salt, or at least a more discerning eye and ear. The public however, is left to their own devices. Anyway let's face it; much of the public will never be reversed on their ingrown terror of sharks no matter what anyone does.

I am willing to bet that Shark Week has gotten many people to visit an aquarium for the first time. I'll bet some of those people have found out that you can probably volunteer time at that aquarium. I'll bet some of those have found out that you can become a volunteer diver. And I'll wager that some of those people have been inspired to take up SCUBA when they found out about the opportunity. I'll bet on this because this is exactly what got me to this sport and to this board. I watched my first Shark Week episode when I was 9 and have not missed many since. If it leads people to aquariums or zoos, then ultimately that money goes to the research and conservation of not only sharks, but all marine life.

Shark Week has also produced some big funds for organizations like The Ocean Conservancy. You can visit them at http://www.oceanconservancy.org.

Education is worthless if fallen on closed minds with deaf ears. Unfortunately this includes the subject of sharks and predators capable of inflicting a human catastrophe.
Edited to fix link.

ScubaJeep:
Just like when Michael Moore gets caught up in a outright lie, and defends it by saying documentaries are not about the truth, but rather about perception. :eye-popin

Right on!!!!!!

Three points:
1- Documentaries have never been about pure fact; they have always been about perception. The only possible true documentary would have to be a single shot, filmed on hidden camera, and unedited, and the only thing it would be is a record of who or what passed in front of the lens while the camera was on. The moment a human being touches anything, you have entered the realm of subjectivity. The documentaries of bygone eras were not more factual. They were notorious for staged sequences, many of which depicted events that never happen in real life.

One's response to Moore's film depends on one's reaction to his message. It is the same with all documentaries. It is just a lot more inflammatory when the content is political rather than the life cycle of the banana slug.

2 - Everyone always mentions Discovery Channel and in the same breath they talk about nature programming. When was the last time you saw nature programming on Discovery outside of Shark Week? Nature programming (ala BBC/Cousteau/old Nat. Geo) is all but dead... or at least dormant. Conservation and Environment are jokingly referred to as "the C word" and "the E word" respectively. The shark finning issue would have to be slipped carefully into a program as an aside.

3 - In order to save something you have to care about it, and in order to care about it you have to see it. Television is often the only way people can get to see certain things. Yet, as someone mentioned, it should not be one's only source of information ... it should pique one's interest and lead to further learning. I only get upset when the programs seem to be intentionally misleading for the sake of sensationalism -- which is for the sake of ratings -- which is for the sake of profit. This is very different than someone putting a subjective spin on a political piece that is already known to be subjective.

Hoya97:
Looking for suggestions as to how we can combat the media and it's warped impression of Sharks into something more realistic.

I just saw the latest advertisement for 'Shark Week' on the Discovery Channel. It begins with ominous music, and a view of a diver from below. As kelp drifts by, print (I think, only saw it once) appears on the screen saying something to the effect of ‘He’s watching you….. he’s been watching you for quite some time…. And you don’t even know he’s there….’ Then the announcement for ‘Shark Week’ blazes across the screen.

SIGH. Yeah, okay. Let’s drive more people out of the water! I mean, for me, a week doesn’t go by without someone asking ‘You’re a diver?!?! WOW! Aren’t you afraid of SHARKS?!?!?’

Some folks can argue that it’s a good thing that less people in the water makes it more enjoyable for us. However, my concern is the ecology of it. Specifically, no one is all that upset about Shark Finning. They seem to think that since the only reason for the Sharks existence is to maul humans at the first opportunity, then killing them should be a good thing.

I can’t help but wonder if the good folks at the Discovery Channel were to have a “Bear Week’ or “Wolf Week” would there be support for the widespread slaughter of them as well?

I sent them a nice letter last year hoping that they would see the potential adverse effects of their Shark Week campaign, but I think profits are much more important to them.

Perhaps if others were to send in some letters, or make other recommendations, we as a group can help change the perception of sharks as roaming killers of any humans that are foolish enough to enter the water. But I think our first goal is to remove the Shark Week presentation or at least change it from the focus on killers to important contributor to the ecosystem.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks
I watched and even taped each show, how they betrayed shark week to be and what each episode showed was completely different. They get people to watch with the jaws into. and then they educate them with the facts.

LeFlaneur:
1- Documentaries have never been about pure fact; they have always been about perception. The only possible true documentary would have to be a single shot, filmed on hidden camera, and unedited, and the only thing it would be is a record of who or what passed in front of the lens while the camera was on. The moment a human being touches anything, you have entered the realm of subjectivity. The documentaries of bygone eras were not more factual. They were notorious for staged sequences, many of which depicted events that never happen in real life.

what he said

LeFlaneur:
When was the last time you saw nature programming on Discovery outside of Shark Week?

Believe it or they do show the occasional nature documentary. They're just hard to find among the crap currently being shown like "Trading Spaces."

Originally Posted by LeFlaneur
When was the last time you saw nature programming on Discovery outside of Shark Week?

This is a sad fact indeed. I grew up on the Discovery Channel and am disgusted at how it and TLC has sold out to "reality drama". Hah, The Learning Channel! Since when is watching someone put moss or straw on a wall educational?

Sorry, I don't want to hijack.

Edited to add
I watched and even taped each show, how they betrayed shark week to be and what each episode showed was completely different. They get people to watch with the jaws intro. and then they educate them with the facts.
Very well said!

StrikeEagle29:
TLC has sold out to "reality drama". Hah, The Learning Channel!

I am fairly certain that TLC is no longer officially an acronym for "The Learning Channel." I'm not joking. "Life Unscripted" is the slogan, and the brand is simply TLC which stands for nothing. Not 100% sure.

Back
Top Bottom