Sunset House consensus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not any more.

Good to know! Always better to have a little more air than less...

---------- Post added November 27th, 2012 at 10:43 AM ----------

Don't know when you're planning on coming down. But right now, the shore diving isn't happening. Water's too rough. I didn't check Sunset House, but Don Fosters, Eden Rock, and the other shore diving around is shut down.

Sent from my phone, so typos are gonna happen.

Not coming down until next Apr '13. Are you there now? What's it like?

Good to know! Always better to have a little more air than less...

---------- Post added November 27th, 2012 at 10:43 AM ----------

Not coming down until next Apr '13. Are you there now? What's it like?

On the trip back home now. I really enjoyed the diving we did on the west side (all boat dives). I wish we could have done some north wall dives, but none of the operators were running them because of the rough conditions. I found out that this is typical of gc in the winter, though. Hopefully you'll be fine in april, though. I used neptunes divers and divetech. I liked them both, but would use neptunes exclusively next time. Dedicated people, happy,and totally mobile. They dont have a shop, so it allows them to float around very well. A big advantage this time of year.

Sent from my phone, so typos are gonna happen.

Thanks for all your replies... Very helpful.

Basically I was offered a seat to the Sunset House with a group for $1625, incl air, oceanview room, 2 boat dives/day, a trip to Kittywake wreck, unlimited shore diving & breakfast. I like the unlimited shore diving. Means I can do some night diving when I want.

Sounds like your decision was largely made by your "deal" at Sunset House, not certain why you posed the question. There's much better diving off Grand Cayman.

Sunset House has it's pros and cons like anyplace. Close to town, for better or worse. My Bar is a great place to have lunch or hang out. Excellent photo shop. On site shore diving is not common on Grand Cayman so that's a plus, though last time I dove there I thought it was pretty beat (and that was a long time ago, I doubt it's improved.) But I've stayed there twice and wouldn't do it again. There are places on Grand Cayman I would rather stay that are all around nicer, with dive ops I like better, that generally dive much better areas. (Cobalt Coast or Lighthouse Point with DiveTech, Compass Point with Ocean Frontiers would be my first choices. Ocean Frontiers you won't get shore diving and there are limited night dives.) Or better yet I would go to Little Cayman.

If you want to go with this group and it's a good deal for you (I didn't do the math) I'm sure you will enjoy the trip, though it's unlikely you will see the best of GC. If your group has a boat to itself maybe ask for more diving to the south and less to the west, still not the best but I think it's generally better and less crowded. But if you are primarily looking for a good deal on a trip, well Cayman fundamentally isn't cheap and you might get a better all around dive trip elsewhere for a smaller bottom line.

My wife and I have done Sunset House, SMB and Cobalt Coast. I you want to party and do some diving, then Sunset House is the place to be. If you want to dive, eat, dive, sleep and dive, then you should look into Cobalt Coast. A couple of things that we really like about Cobalt Coast that you can't get at Sunset:
1) the North Wall ... the best dive sites on Grand Cayman. And, when weather shuts down the North Wall (as it has apparently and temporarily shut down shore diving on the west side) you can dive the northern part of the West Wall -- Orange Canyon, Kittiwake, Trinity Caves, Chain Reef, etc.
2) Cobalt Coast has two shore diving sites. If the weather is too rough at Cobalt Coast, you can still do unlimited shore diving at Lighthouse Point and the Divetech crew will shuttle you back and forth (assuming you have a dive package with Cobalt/Divetech).

The shallow reef at Sunset House is tired compared to the house reef at Cobalt Coast, but it's a relatively short swim out to the wall which is a very nice dive. Seems to me that one of the reasons why the reef is tired is that shore diving at Sunset House is less likely to be closed due to conditions than the shore diving at Cobalt Coast (especially in the winter). If you are at Cobalt Coast you can go to Lighthouse Point, but IMO once you have to pack up all your gear, get in the car or the van or whatever and drive someplace to dive, you've kind of defeated the purpose of staying somewhere with a house reef.

Have fun!

Agreed, chances of being blown out at Cobalt Coast are certainly higher than at Sunset House. (I've been blown out at both places.) And CC there's a way longer swim to much of anything. It's just a matter of what's important to you. Even though I prefer convenient I'd still rather take my chances at having to haul my gear to Lighthouse Point, it's something I would do at some point anyway. I'd probably take my gear to Turtle Reef sometime too, even though it's not Divetech there anymore and I'd be renting tanks.

As far as the condition of the reef, it's true the reef off CC doesn't get as much traffic as SH. But also, CC has been there 12 years, and SH more like 50.

The chance of being blown out for shore diving at Cobalt Coast, Lighthouse Point, and Turtle Reef are probably all very similar and related. I have lost dives at all these sites due to conditions. I've never tried to dive out of Georgetown. Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers has the advantage of being able to dive South, East, or North sites depending on time of year and conditions. Flexibility is the key. Cobalt Coast/Divetech has both the West and the North depending on conditions. Being relegated to the West may have certain advantages during adverse conditions but lacks diversity, flexibility, and the best diving off the island. That being said, there are plenty of West sites I would dive in a second. Grand Cayman has wonderful diving.

Good diving, Craig

The shallow reef at Sunset House is tired compared to the house reef at Cobalt Coast, but it's a relatively short swim out to the wall which is a very nice dive. Seems to me that one of the reasons why the reef is tired is that shore diving at Sunset House is less likely to be closed due to conditions than the shore diving at Cobalt Coast (especially in the winter).

The whole reason for my thread is to find out what the conditions are at SH... So I appreciate the advice on what I would experience staying there. When you say tired, is it still a pretty decent dive considering that I haven't been there yet? Or will I find it bleached out with little to see? I know there are better places to stay and sites to dive but this is about staying at SH.

The whole reason for my thread is to find out what the conditions are at SH... So I appreciate the advice on what I would experience staying there. When you say tired, is it still a pretty decent dive considering that I haven't been there yet? Or will I find it bleached out with little to see? I know there are better places to stay and sites to dive but this is about staying at SH.

It is definitely a decent dive. I would take the shore dive at SH over most of the reefs here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom