Sunfish Pond - dont let a boy do a man's job

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Elite-3x

$99 - looks good to me ...
I see that your suggestion shows bottom hardness. We would all be very interested in that. So, looks like it is down to two choices. They look like competitive offerings, there have to be reviews.

I'll make some calls.

Edit:
Now leaning towards the Lowrance Elite 3X. More waterproof than the Humminbird, otherwise very similar.

Last edited:
Good thing this is a bucket list dive - cause if I think of all the time, effort and some money going into this dive... lol :)

I hope you are not disappointed in the viz... and you can not tell by the top 10 feet of the lake

Good thing this is a bucket list dive - cause if I think of all the time, effort and some money going into this dive... lol
Ya, but I've lived long enough to learn how to spend my fun money for full effect. That sweet little packraft opens up so much around here: (Brandywine Creek State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
I hope you are not disappointed in the viz... and you can not tell by the top 10 feet of the lake
Roger, that! The top few feet tell nothing. But, hey. That sweet little pond holds secrets for us, so fun to earn...

Please PM me when you have a firm date. I'm going to hike up there to provide refreshments.

PM - lets discuss schedules. I'm game. Which way you hiking?

No schedules yet, much background work to be done.

The shoreline points I picked from Google Earth on *whatever* map aren't close enough to what my killer GPS reports. My GPS uses both US and Glonass (Russian) satellites for a really, really good fix. I get no less than 14 satellites at good strength on the pond. According to the default Garmin map, I spent a lot of time paddling around in the forest. I'm pretty damn sure that this is just a ploy to buy a better map, they offer one. :( No prob there, Forget it, Garmin. I'm ahead of it.

Next pass will be to walk a "track" around the pond and reset the grid coordinates. All this is background stuff. I'm on it with GPS Mapper:

From the GPS mapper guy:

You're right, the logic was a little off in the left/right stuff. And while I was in there, I changed the default to "Right only."

As for the scale, I haven't touched that code since 2003! Very few people actually use it. I'll see if there's an easy way to make it preserve the input units.

Adam

Smart guy, simple fix. We press on....

Last edited:
PM - lets discuss schedules. I'm game. Which way you hiking?

I would think Sept or later would be cooler temps to hike gear up the trail... July and Aug - not nearly as much fun... :)

...//... But - if you plan to resell - I would think GPS would be an option not for you but for the next buyer to get some money back...
Thanks for that observation. Spent much time researching this and found something very interesting. There is another REALLY good reason to add GPS functionality. Automapping! My new best contender: Lowrance® Elite-4 CHIRP 83/200 455/800 Combo : Cabela's $199 US

So now the plan reduces to calculating all the grid points that need to be visited to ensure coverage and enter them into my existing GPS as a route that I'm to follow, My GPS beeps when I hit a mark. :) Now, I don't have to do six things at once, just paddle a course. No fussing with data collection while drifting, fishfinder does that! Upload the data, download a topo map of the pond.

More calls to make next week concerning how much data the fishfinder can hold, but this is really looking nice.

Now I see why I didn't bump into you this morning at maclearie for a sunrise dive. You up late planning.

Do you have to set a point on the fish finder every time the GPS beeps to save it or is it continuous? I will have to start walking daily so I can keep up with you guys on the trail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom