Sunfish Pond - dont let a boy do a man's job

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basking Ridge Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First of all I figured this needed a separate thread and I want to apologize for not getting this right.

There is a SunFish Pond in PA - County Parks - Bradford County, PA - - I had no idea - but that is who I called and they said no... But Tridacna kept saying how are we going to get the gear up there and I could not quite figure out why he was so concerned. And I kept thinking - hmmmnnn there are roads and camping right on site - but I never mentioned that and oh by the way it is close to the Appalachian Trail - so I thought just go ask if they will let us dive... Nope - no way can not dive in Sunfish pond in PA is what they told me....

Then Rich said something that until now did not ring a bell... Well...
There is a Sunfish Pond in NJ - Sunfish Pond | njHiking.com - I had no idea so I called today...
Yes you can Scuba dive in Sunfish pond - but you can not spear and you can not take and you need a dive flag... But she did not even hesitate to say could we dive - why of course as long as you have a flag and do not take...

Feel like a dope - but hey - I am fessing up to my mistake...
But now I think we can add an additional dive to the future list for those that want a heart attack hauling gear up the mountain... This might be more than I can handle on Saturday so I am proposing we set a schedule for this dive and think through it - like maybe diving 40 cu feet rather than hauling 80's or bigger?

So in the end - we can dive Sunfish Pond in NJ but just make sure this is the correct site...
from the website -
Our two cents: Sunfish Pond is a popular destination, but rightly so. For newer hikers, this is hike is manageable… but it’s also not a “walk in the park” and 7.6+ miles may be longer than you realize or can comfortably do.
While on our way back, we’ve passed many weary hikers asking “how much farther to the pond?” Please bring water, have appropriate footwear, and honestly assess your fitness level. This is not a good choice for your first hike.

Old Mine Road - Garvey Springs Trail is steeper but shorter - may be a better option to get to Sunfish...
Yards Creek Road - next to Upper Yards Creek Reservoir may also be an option looks to be close to Sunfish...

Last edited:
Yes, you have the correct site. Please PM me with the number you called and don't keep asking until you get a "no". I just need a name or phone number to quote if we are questioned.

Park here: 41 00' 11.82"N and hike to: 75 04' 34.41" W. It will be about a seven and a half mile hike with a vertical rise of slightly over a thousand feet. Not impossible, done it many times with a kid on my back. Just know that it is a relentless hike, seems to never end. No one stretch is all that bad, just one fairly steep rocky ascent, not a climb, but a strenuous walk. This would be an epic dive, one for the books. What a way to cool off and relax.

A single steel 72 pumped to 3K should be perfect, [72 - 10% = 64.8 then 64.8 x 3000/2250 = 86 cuft] wetsuit and minimalist gear. It could be done...

I'm totally in if you want to try.

Totally in - but I am going to whittle down that 7 mile hike... It's what I do...

Contact Us - Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

I did not catch her name because I was so caught off guard when she said yes... :goingdown:
I know you said PM - but as long as folks dont abuse this area - seems like it is totally fine - and I can not imagine all that many want to hike 14 miles round trip for a fresh water dive... :D

Snorkeling and SCUBA Diving - Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

Snorkeling
Snorkeling is permitted in the park. Snorkelers who are drifting down the river should remember that it is not permitted to swim within 50 feet of a boat or canoe launch.
Scuba
Scuba diving is permitted in the park. Walpack Bend and Point of Gap are popular locations. Divers should use standard diving flags and remain close to their flags for their own safety.

OK, starting to look like one of my fantasy dives could become real.

We knock off the train wreck early AM, (I'll be early too) and then scout the pond? You know it will take more than one hike to get weight belts and gear up there for one dive...

Half the fun is coming up with and working a good plan.

OK, starting to look like one of my fantasy dives could become real. We knock off the train wreck early AM, (I'll be early too) and then scout the pond? You know it will take more than one hike to get weight belts and gear up there for one dive... Half the fun is coming up with and working a good plan.

I am fine with scouting but I need to dive it a different weekend - I have kid stuff that I need to be back for in the afternoon...
That said we can look around - but I would be interested in how close we can get to Yards Creek Road - next to Upper Yards Creek Reservoir may also be an option looks to be close to Sunfish... That way the hike is less than 1/2 mile maybe even a 1/4 mile...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/U...2!3m1!1s0x89c48148e4eb0fc1:0x21e068180c6095c3

I have charged up the GoPro batteries for the Train Wreck and hope to see the boulders too on the opposite side...
Definitely taking it on Sunfish too...

Deep, clear, cold and very beautiful. Decades of acid rain have had their effect, and the low pH of the lake now greatly limits the fish population to things like Pickerel, shiners, and stunted sunfish. A very long time ago this was good trout water.

It's a hell of an uphill walk if you are carrying anything heavy. The last time I did the hike was with some herpetologists: lots of big Timber Rattlesnakes. Bears are abundant, so don't bring any Jersey submarine sandwiches fragrantly dripping with oil and vinegar. A Rutgers student was killed by a bear in wild area a few miles away several months ago, but this was just before hibernation, so the bear was focused on putting on some extra avoirdupois.

I greatly admire your resolute determination.

No worse then diving with Mary Lee off the coast... :D

Mary Lee.jpg

Back
Top Bottom