Sunfish Pond - dont let a boy do a man's job

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couple of reasons that you didn't see me. Tides are wrong and I'm all about Sunfish Pond right now.

Suggestion: Do your training/hiking on the real thing. I'll meet you there anytime you want for another dry run, dying to get my packraft back onto the pond, just freaking fun. PM me. Really.

If we get the mapping right, we can use it for the railroad cars in the river at the base of the same mountain in the Delaware river and maybe even search the back bay for anything interesting. I think that the fishfinder just records everything and software makes a topo map out of what the fishfinder saw. That would be perfect, just paddle a course while watching the down-scan picture of the bottom. How much better than that could it get? :)

Anyway, no prob if we don't make it to the pond on the first try. We are all slow and easy on that ascent, ask BRD. That trail burns out heroes and rabbits rather quickly. It is relentless but I'll hike it in any weather or heat. Just slower in the heat.

Two biggies: A real backpack that is properly fitted and a good pair of broken-in hiking boots. The remaining stuff can be managed. Would be a great time to find out how much you can carry. This isn't a macho thing. I can carry a lot more than 27-30 pounds total on my back, but then my hips and knees begin to ache for days after that hike. Not worth it, supposed to be fun.

Diving: This is probably best done as serious minimalist stuff, every pound means something. Working on a rig based on my freedom plate. Not there yet, but this can be fine tuned at home.

Last edited:
Update on mapping:

Called Lowrance tech support. I'm going with Lowrance as they developed 'down-scan' technology. Licensed it to anyone interested. Some play by the rules, some cheat. (Garmin® Violates Navico Patents, Required To Stop Import And Sale Of DownVu™ Products | Navico)

In a nutshell: Any of Lowrance's devices work pretty much the same with respect to data collection! The differences in price are with screen size and user conveniences. Looking at buying this: Lowrance® Elite-4 CHIRP 83/200 455/800 Combo : Cabela's

Stats: 32GB card is the biggest, more than big enough. Width of coverage on bottom is 0.35 X Depth. This will change my gridpoints. Can tell bottom hardness, rock vs vegetation is easy. Just need to make sure that the transducer is capable of 83/200 HDI operation.

Hook 4 and Chirp 4 are exactly the same, Hook is newer. Data collection generates SL2 files. Run for an hour and restart to keep filesize reasonable. Genesis Insight software takes all your files and constructs the map. Free until August, they are having issues with their website.

Sunfish Pond has not been mapped on Insight's community website (GoFree – Maps, Apps, Software, and Connectivity for Your Marine Electronics). -would have been nice...

Ha!

Yeah, we'll all get rich trying to sell them a map of a National Park lake with a 'no fishing' policy. :)

I thought that was No Phishing... oh well - we will get them next time - Bucket List #2....

As long as there is not a 'no diving' policy.

We checked (or at least I checked) - but I did not get it in writing... I did not want to push it and have someone throw a flag on us... Not a diving flag - went there once and no one said boo - so I think if we can hike it up there we are good to go... :)
Although I do want to point out I have dove there once already - it is checked off my bucket list... lol

Rub it in, rub it in. I still will hike up there with a lp72 or other lightweight tank and minimal gear and give it a go. This will be a don't ask, don't tell dive

...//... This will be a don't ask, don't tell dive
No worries.

I asked the following of an official at the large visitor's station on the PA side:

"Is it illegal to scuba dive in Sunfish Pond?" Ans: No, but you need a flag and must follow all NJ scuba requirements.
"Is it illegal to operate a kayak on Sunfish Pond?" Ans: No, but you need a PFD.
"Is it illegal to swim in Sunfish Pond?" Yes.

Without being asked, I was told that all of the wildlife in the park is off-limits. (We knew that.)

We're good, no more asking...

While I realize that Sunfish Pond is in a National Park what seems to be a guideline for bodies of water in a NJ State Park is that if they allow swimming they may allow scuba. Unfortunately most don't allow swimming.

Back
Top Bottom