Suggestions on BCDs for instructor training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tvh13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been looking at all of the BCDs avaliable and am feeling overwhelmed. Any advice appreciated.

I will be traveling to Thailand for PADI dive master and then instructor training in a couple of weeks and I am looking to purchase a BCD here in the states before I go. I plan to use this gear a lot and will be relocating to Asia for continued diving. I find that I can get much better deals on equipment here in the states than in Thailand and so want to make purchase before I leave.

BCD Max price is $400.

Qualities that I am looking for are durability (will be using this a lot), simplicity (I don't need lots of bells and whistles), comfort.

I have noticed the

edge freedom - good entry level price seems to be high quality without paying for a huge advertising budget.

scubapro classic plus - high quality time tested design. I can buy for $399

Fins

Scubapro jet fins

people seem to like the springs for the heals comments?

Regulator

sherwood oasis

console

Not sure. I just want a simple metric tank and depth

Just picked up the Edge Stealth 2 great back inflate very easy to get trimmed out. Great quality

Just picked up the Edge Stealth 2 great back inflate very easy to get trimmed out. Great quality

Cool how is the quality compare to scubapro? Would I notice a difference?

BC: Back plate with a basic harness and a wing (Oxycheq 18#) will get you close to $400
Light, compact, no bells or whistles but can be expanded.

Fins: Why not just take what you are using right now and put a set a spring straps on them? Use them until they break and then buy a new set of fins.
Spring straps are the only way to go..IMO

Reg: Nothing wrong with Sherwood. Solid, dependable, parts are readily available.

Console: Mares Puck, Sunnto Zoop or Gekko ..maybe $300

BC: Back plate with a basic harness and a wing (Oxycheq 18#) will get you close to $400
Light, compact, no bells or whistles but can be expanded.

Fins: Why not just take what you are using right now and put a set a spring straps on them? Use them until they break and then buy a new set of fins.

Reg: Nothing wrong with Sherwood. Solid, dependable, parts are readily available.

Console: Mares Puck, Sunnto Zoop or Gekko ..maybe $300

I was looking into a Back Plate but my instructor practically insists on me getting a jacket type of BC. I am not in a place to argue the point as I don't have the experience to really know what I want. I hope to get a good BC that works and with more experience I will figure out what I want to use long term. All most all of the DM I've seen in Thailand use jacket type BCs.

I've been using full foot snorkle fins so far. I want to purchase an open heel fin. The scubapro seemed like it has been around for a good long time.

The stealth is a back inflate - so that is the biggest difference - if you use correct weight you are fine up to and perfect below the surface - build quality is as good as anyones.

I was looking into a Back Plate but my instructor practically insists on me getting a jacket type of BC. I am not in a place to argue the point as I don't have the experience to really know what I want. I hope to get a good BC that works and with more experience I will figure out what I want to use long term. All most all of the DM I've seen in Thailand use jacket type BCs.

+1 to everything that Scott said, especially spring straps. I can't understand your instructor's insistence on a jacket unless that is all his shop sells, and he wants you to look like his inventory. However, if you want to get a jacket, seriously consider getting a travel BC. Fewer pockets = less bulky, rear-inflate = better trim in the water, no integrated weights = FAR less bulky, modular design = parts can be replaced. I dive a Zeagle Scout - it fits all my criteria, above (there are integrated weight pockets, but they collapse flat).

Jacket style BCD is easier for teaching, the simpler the better, as it's most likely what your students will be training in. Other than that, I don't really have much to say on that.

Fins: might be a better idea to get the OMS slipstream, same style fins as the jets, but lighter, they'll be better for your warmwater trim, and easier to travel with.

A mares reg, or an apeks one might be easier to get serviced there.

I'd recommend wrist-mounted computer over console.

And a tangent: where in thailand are you going, and who are you getting trained by? I did mine with Crystal Dive Resort, koh tao, personally.

jacket BCD is the only reasonable option, your instructor trainer is correct. There will be nay-sayers and differing opinions, but when it comes to skills demonstrations, trying to show a student the correct way to use the equipment issued to them is most effectively done with equipment that is somewhat similar in function AND appearance to theirs. If you are looking for simple and sturdy, consider looking at the rental kit they are actually using. That kit is subjected to harsh and careless use by students and guests on a daily basis. If your kit is cared for better, imagine how long it might last. I have worked with seaquest, DiveBuddy, and Scubapro and all of the BCD's constructed with an eye towards rental fleet market will show a tendency to survive.

I personally spent a lot on mine and am willing to pay more often for the extra comfortable poodle jacket. I use a mares dragon (both here in cold water / drysuit, and in tropical waters.) when you fully inflate the dragon, it pops you so far up out of the water that your hands are completely clear... great if you like to use hand gestures while you speak.

For fins, I have used several (both splits and solids) and none worked better for giving the traction needed to catch wayward guests and attention deficient students than the Mares open heel with 3 or 4 "channels". I love the stiffer feel, and when you are in water 3+ times per day, your legs WILL get strong enough to make use of the extra traction. Split fins are like riding a bicycle in the easiest gear: if you are willing to "peddle" like crazy.... That has been my experience and is MY OPINION

good luck on your course, and if I may offer a bit of advice: DIVE. Dive lots. Dive some more. Get as much real experience as you can before you go out and start teaching. You will be the better teacher when you have a feel for how and why whatever happens as it does, and how to deal with it, when you can call upon personal experience from having seen some of it personally, than you ever could from reading about it. You will be a more confident teacher with more to offer your students when you start teaching.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom