Suggestions on BCDs for instructor training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, I'm currently working in Thailand and can support some of the advice offered above.

For the BCD, as long as you can demonstrate all skills all the way through the Rescue Diver course, you can get whatever style you like. Back-inflate, "poodle" jacket, whatever, as long as it has a quick release and the skill attributes can be demonstrated and copied by student divers, that's all that's really important. I once had a DMT in a bp/w/long hose system and it was a royal pain for skills demos. The equipment replacement and removal was so different that students couldn't just copy it, and because it was Hogarthian (with one long piece of webbing holding everything together and on the diver) getting it off the "victim" for Rescue demos was extremely difficult. Air sharing drills are way different with a long hose. I'm in favor of instructors wearing similar gear to what their students are using regardless of what course is being taught... when I took my tech classes, I would have been amazed if my instructor tried to conduct a class using a rebreather when the rest of us were in bp/w and twins.

Ease of getting service is critical. For example, I recently had a cracked corrugated hose on my low-pressure inflator at the end of one dive day, and all I had to do was walk into the shop and wait five minutes to get it repaired. Brands that are easy to get service for here are Scuba Pro, Mares, Aqualung, OMS.

For similar repair/part/technician reasons, I wouldn't recommend Sherwood regs for Thailand. They are hard to get service for. There are some shops/techs, but the parts sometimes have to be ordered and that can take a while. Same holds for Oceanic and several other brands popular in the US but not widely distributed elsewhere.

For gauges, follow the same guidelines for getting repairs and spare parts. I recently decided to have a pair of console-mounted computers re-booted into a wrist-mount-style. It took months to get the relevant parts for these Oceanic Veos from Bangkok (I assume they had to import them in). I also had a visiting diver need an emergency repair for an Aeris computer, but we couldn't get it done at all. For gauges, computers, etc., the easiest to service here are Suunto, Mares, Aqualung, Uwatec.

Hope that helps.

Great advice form Quero! I would also recommend checking what the dive shop you will training with has to offer. They may offer a good package deal. Perhaps you can use some rental items and see what everyone else is using and then buy? Try now, buy later. It could save you a lot of money! Other interns may want to sell used equipment as well. Just finding out why they are selling may help you make a more informed decision.

I personally prefer Scuba Pro for BCD. You may be able to find a Knighthawk used as another option on SB or e-Bay. Most importantly get a compass and computer. You should be able to make do with just about any rental BCD regardless.

I recently splurged for a Halcyon Infinity. Very nice indeed! For confined I prefer to use my Knighthawk. OW training/fun diving BP/W. Rescue course I would still use my BP/W if I have a certified assistant with BCD. If not then the Knighthawk. This ideally, allows students to see both in action.

I teach in a zeagle express tech and my students are in Tusa jackets for the most part. I have yet to see where they are "confused" by the difference in styles. I explain what I am using and what they are using and then demo skills. I see no "confusion" when I bring my BPW in for a session or two with a long hose set-up. I don't know if all my students would quailfy for MENSA (probably not), but I do give them the benefit of the doubt that they are not morons. A simple explanation and demo clears up any "confusion".

Jim, and all other BPW / tech proponents, please stop and think for a moment. We all know full well that the newly minted instructor coming straight out of a Thai meat factory is not going to be teaching the SEI way; They are going into the PADI resort machine, where 3 instructional day courses are exceptionally long, NOT abbreviated.

Its not that you can't do it from 'tech' gear, but the fact remains that the Course Director has indicated jacket style as requirement for the IDC program the OP is enrolled in. Do you propose that a student countermand or disobey his instructor before possibly even arriving in the same timezone?? I can only wonder how that would bode for one of your courses if you specifically indicated that your incumbent students acquire and familiarize themselves with a specific (say SEI) course manual before arriving, but after reading online, a student ascertained that another (say BSAC) manual was more commonly used and decided to familiarize himself with that instead. Much of the same material is covered, the same end accomplished, but it directly disobeys you and interrupts the flow of your class.

I prefer even my Mensa grade students follow simple instructions. If they decide to seek sage advise or second opinions elsewhere on discretionary aspects of purchases stipulated as required for a pro level course, that indicates good foresight. When they start heeding the advice of others on NON discretionary aspects of that gear selection, we all, as instructors, get a little put out.
I was looking into a Back Plate but my instructor practically insists on me getting a jacket type of BC. I am not in a place to argue the point as I don't have the experience to really know what I want. I hope to get a good BC that works and with more experience I will figure out what I want to use long term. All most all of the DM I've seen in Thailand use jacket type BCs.

As it stands, his CD has indicated poodle jacket; I stand by my recommendations.

....just thinkin out loud... :)

Last edited:
tvh13:
BCD Max price is $400.

Qualities that I am looking for are durability (will be using this a lot), simplicity (I don't need lots of bells and whistles), comfort.

I have noticed the

edge freedom - good entry level price seems to be high quality without paying for a huge advertising budget.

scubapro classic plus - high quality time tested design. I can buy for $399

The Scubapro Classic Sport is simpler, more streamlined and actually costs less than the Classic Plus.

tvh13:
Fins

Scubapro jet fins

people seem to like the springs for the heals comments?

I really don't see the advantage to spring straps, but do highly recommend Jets.

tvh13:
Regulator

sherwood oasis

The Oasis doesn't deliver lots of air. I once rescued an OOA diver at 100 feet with one, I had to time my inhalations with the OOA diver's exhalations because the Sherwood wouldn't give enough air for both of us to breathe at the same time at 100 feet. I bought a Scubapro Mark X right after that.

tvh13:
console

Not sure. I just want a simple metric tank and depth

I really don't think it matters.

Much as I love my BP/W, given the venue is Thailand I gotta agree with those who say get a jacket or standard back-inflate BCD. When in Rome, etc ... for all the reasons those advising you have stated above.

Fins ... if you're OK with the weight of Jets, then I'm gonna recommend you try the Hollis F1's ... they come with spring straps, so no extra purchase is needed. They fit and feel better than either Jets or Slipstreams, and perform at least as well as either. Like the Jets, they're heavy ... other than that, I see only advantages.

Regulator ... you have to go with what you can get parts and service for over there ... but I agree with those who suggest a high-quality, easy breather ... given the feedback on the Oasis, you don't want a reg that might cause a student you're sharing air with to stress because they feel like it's not delivering adequately. If price is a concern, look at some of the higher-end TUSA regs ... I had one a few years back and was suitably impressed with its performance. Zeagle also makes some really nice performing regs in your price range.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom