Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BillM_Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello all - my name is Bill. I have been recently certified OW. I am heading to Bahia Honda State Park and am looking forward to a dive to Looe key From what I understand this is a good drive for beginners. I have some concerns that i'd like some guidance on.
I feel as though key elements were missed in my training such as; we never learned to do a proper buddy check (BWRAF), never learned finning techniques (flutter only). And really didn't spend any quality time on proper buoyancy and trim. This coupled with I just bought new gear BCD and regulator so I don't know what my proper weighting is (certified in fresh water). Any suggestions on whether I should try to go somewhere and figure this stuff out before going on a dive boat? Or do these dive boats cater to such green divers?
thank you in advance.

Looe Key is an easy dive, so it would be a good place for you to start. I'd recommend contacting the shop that you'll be diving with and ask if they have a DM that can help you sort out your weighting, etc. Looe Key is such a shallow dive, you can probably spend a few minutes at the beginning doing weight checks and still have time to enjoy a dive.

Looe Key is an easy dive, so it would be a good place for you to start. I'd recommend contacting the shop that you'll be diving with and ask if they have a DM that can help you sort out your weighting, etc. Looe Key is such a shallow dive, you can probably spend a few minutes at the beginning doing weight checks and still have time to enjoy a dive.
Thank you - I will be stopping in at the dive shop as soon as I get there.

Hi Bill,
Sounds like you have a plan. Some local dive shops offer open pool days when you can test out skills and equipment before you take it far away. This would be a good thing (if you can do it) because even new gear might have unseen problems, so it’s worthwhile to test before traveling. If you can do this and get your weighting right for fresh water, you’ll be within a few pounds of what you need in salt… at least you’ll have a starting point!
🐸

You might ask your local dive shop or the company you will be reef diving with for a refresher. A lot of times folks that haven't dove for a couple of years are asked to get a refresher before renting equipment, doing a deeper boat dive or before going to a dive resort.

My OW instructor (here in Florida) gave a couple from Indiana a refresher after my open water dives for that day. The couple got OW certified, had a dive themed wedding and had not dove since (4 years or so). I believe my instructor charged about $100 each and the couple got an afternoon of an instructor's time to go over anything they didn't feel comfortable with.

Hi Bill,
Sounds like you have a plan. Some local dive shops offer open pool days when you can test out skills and equipment before you take it far away. This would be a good thing (if you can do it) because even new gear might have unseen problems, so it’s worthwhile to test before traveling. If you can do this and get your weighting right for fresh water, you’ll be within a few pounds of what you need in salt… at least you’ll have a starting point!
🐸
Unfortunately, I bought my equipment last night and leaving for the keys tomorrow. I am going to talk to the local dive shops there and the dive boat operator as suggested, and see how willing and patient they are with my situation.
Thank you for the suggestion!

You might ask your local dive shop or the company you will be reef diving with for a refresher. A lot of times folks that haven't dove for a couple of years are asked to get a refresher before renting equipment, doing a deeper boat dive or before going to a dive resort.

My OW instructor (here in Florida) gave a couple from Indiana a refresher after my open water dives for that day. The couple got OW certified, had a dive themed wedding and had not dove since (4 years or so). I believe my instructor charged about $100 each and the couple got an afternoon of an instructor's time to go over anything they didn't feel comfortable with.
Yes, that's my plan. I'd rather pay a little too get the hell I need over jumping straight in from a dive boat. Although, as suggested it is a easy dive good for beginners.
Thank you for the input

I would recomend Capt Hooks, ask to be paired with Dave as a private DM. He is a down to earth, fun fellow, who is a great teacher and very saftey oriented. He dove with my then 9 yr old and we stll look him up every year i go down!!

I would recomend Capt Hooks,
That is a long way from Looe Key. Otherwise they enjoy a good reputation.

Back
Top Bottom