Suggested CCR Reading

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive Great Lakes (cold, 4-8c) and get quite a bit of condensation on the inhale loop and the head area. We were taught to remove the head so it can dry after the dive. Condensation is possible on the cell but not likely. Even inverted it would take a lot more condensation than I've yet to see to cause any issues, though it's not impossible. A flooded can would be more of an issue if inverting.

I stand it up for travel because it's less work and it has a nice stable stand. Laying it down it wobbles side to side.
I get quite a bit of condensate in my inhale counterlung on great lakes trips. I have to empty it out every other day which would be after 4 dives or ~6 hours. The exhale lung has the OPV so it drains naturally although I remove both and give them a fresh water rinse mid-trip. I have the Meg TOS CLs.

I dont really know, but multiple JJ divers here from multiple MOD1 instructors are "worried" about post dive condensation getting on the cells and transport their units home upright.
Ps the inhale gas is 100% RH too, the entire loop has condensation in cold water - our water is about 7-12C depending on the site and time of year
I will be diving with an expert soon. I will ask.

What I do is take the head off overnight and let it dry out, it is not generally running wet but there is always water beading. I am not sure the inhale gas, at the cells at least, is as wet as you think. It has just encountered the cold metal body, which makes a lot of condensation as found in the bottom of the can, and then been warmed up a bit in the scrubber. The surface area for condensation is also a lot smaller after the scrubber.

Thanks for all the info. It's a balancing act between armchair academics and spending a ton of cash on a unit and accessories that is sub-optimal for my needs (then spending more to get the right one.)

Rjack321: do you know any good forums to chat with ISC divers (beside here)? Their FB page is really quiet.

Thanks for all the info. It's a balancing act between armchair academics and spending a ton of cash on a unit and accessories that is sub-optimal for my needs (then spending more to get the right one.)

Rjack321: do you know any good forums to chat with ISC divers (beside here)? Their FB page is really quiet.
See if you can do MOD1 on a rental unit. That will give you a much better idea of what matters, the housekeeping required and so forth.

Hi everyone, this is my first post but I thought I would add in my experience as I have used this forum for info for a long time but never contributed. I went from a HH inspo (where the cells face down) to a new JJ and I can say that if you lay the unit on it's back to transport it, like I did with the inspo, it will 100% get water on the cell (cell 2) face and soak the membrane causing the cell to read slow until it dries out (usually overnight). This is also a problem if you go on your back during a dive (taking photos).

here is a clipping from SW desktop when I tested this out on a dive. I rolled on my back at 50 minutes and then at about 58 I pumped up the PP02 to about 1.5 to see how that would affect it.

upload_2020-12-17_7-27-56.png

this was with pretty much brand new JJ cells, using my old N@90 cells the effect wasn't as dramatic. given the current situation the cell membranes may have been of a lower quality because of the mad rush to produce cells during the pandemic, but that is pure speculation. The point is that laying the unit down does definitely cause problems with moisture getting on the cell faces (mostly cell 2).

Sorry I missed this Blenny. You can post questions in the ISC FB page, Leon is actually pretty good at answering over there. If its a parts issue Wayne is there almost daily too.

There are at least a half dozen of us here as well too and it's no problem to have a Meg specific thread

Sorry I missed this Blenny. You can post questions in the ISC FB page, Leon is actually pretty good at answering over there. If its a parts issue Wayne is there almost daily too.

There are at least a half dozen of us here as well too and it's no problem to have a Meg specific thread

Thanks, and no worries. Knowing that Leon and Wayne are active on FB is a big help for when I start having specific questions.

It's too bad ISC is moving to Texas, but I know a lot of companies are, and at least that's still in the US.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom