Such a thing as too much air or no need for redundancy? (long and rambly)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Generally true... however, there are places where the water is warm enough to do long dives without going dry.

In South Florida, the surface water temps can hit 92-96F in late summer. If there’s no thermocline, bottom temps can be toasty. I’ve dove double AL-80s with a 2mm shorty. I’ve actually had problems with sweat getting in my eyes during long swims.

My corrolation in dry suit and doubles is the redundant buoyancy provided by the dry suit in a wing failure.

You may be assuming steel tanks. Redundancy isn’t required for AL tanks.

I think in the AL example ou give you are correct but the line is not simply a al or steel issue look at a AL100 and it has very similar buoyancy as a steel lp95. or perhaps a steel tank of heliox is probably no more than a AL80 tank of air. But in the context of someone saying that if you div doubles you need to take a lift bag. IMO that would not be my optimum choice unless I knew I had a hard bottom to utilize a lift bag in the event of a blown wing. The DS is a one solution fits all type of thing,,,,. blow a wing and in but a very few seconds you have recovered.

When I dive AL, I’m not so negative that I can’t swim up without a wing. Yes, I also carry a lift bag that can can also be a backup. I’ve tested it. It works quite well.

Even though I dive dry, I am skeptical on the use of a dry suit as redundant buoyancy with steel tanks. If my wing failed at max penetration, it would be quite a challenge to swim out with an over-inflated suit. I’m not convinced the suit seals would hold back enough air pressure to float LP 104s.

I know this is not a popular opinion...

I've blown my neoprene up to almost Michelin man proportions

but yes wetsuits and manifolded steel tanks is very very common among divers also with single wings

So back to the title question, is it silly to like the extra air and the often unnecessary redundancy of the pony bottle?
As long as you can shoulder that weight, why not? I wound up handing off ponies several times over the years.

Too much is never enough -- which would also be a decent James Bond title; though, I have seen my fair share of so-called "tech" divers, dressed as though, for the 1983 invasion of Granada, hopelessly "turtled" in the surf, from crap they were incapable of carrying on their own.

That never ceases to amaze . . .

Back
Top Bottom