Such a thing as too much air or no need for redundancy? (long and rambly)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah drat, that’s what I was afraid of. Maybe the doubles plan will have to wait until I have the time for dry suit and more technical needs.

Sounds like diving a single steel tank and an AL40 pony would be better for your current situation. I dive deeper (to 130 ft) Great Lakes wrecks all the time with a single HP80 (or HP100 I’ll rent sometimes) and an AL40 pony. I’m a frequent diver on Lake Michigan wrecks.

Why pay double for fills, double for VIP etc. Just use a large single tank that supplies enough gas. A single steel is going to be lighter than an equivalent capacity set of double aluminum tanks.

SCUBA Cylinder Specifications – Huron Scuba, Snorkel & Adventure Travel Inc. PADI 5 star IDC in Ann Arbor, MI
Assuming that’s all accurate its on the list.
Kinda annoyed I missed the 112’s I was going to buy. Waiting for another set and diving single tank is probably the best bet.
Already have 19 pony which is the max I would prefer to carry.
If I need anything bigger for a straight abort the dive is technical enough where I should be in doubles.

I’m confused by your thinking. You won’t carry an AL40 because it’s too big, yet you’d deal with the weight doubles instead (the weight of which you were already seeming to be not happy about)? Alrighty then.

It’s the size and how it’s carried, not the weight. I can handle 2 tanks rigid on a backplate but for a single slung tank the dimensions of the 19 are as big as I want. I don’t want to back mount the pony.

Odd. I’m 5’5” and I have no issues slinging an AL40. For that matter, I have no issue with my doubles and AL40 at the same time.

84CJ7:
So back to the title question, is it silly to like the extra air and the often unnecessary redundancy of the pony bottle?
NO, it is not, in either case.

'Air on the surface' is one of the three 'useless' things in diving. Having air with you at depth buys time, which can either be used to extend an enjoyable dive, or deal with a problem. You don't HAVE to use it all on every dive, by the way.

Redundancy is always a good thing, and increases the likelihood that a diver can be self-reliant (also a good thing).

The only issues to address are HOW to take the air your want, and HOW to configure your rig to achieve the redundancy you should have.

A bigger single cylinder is fine, IF it doesn't adversely affect you buoyancy and trim. It provides more air, not redundancy.

A pony bottle, or manifolded or independent doubles, provide redundancy.

Many divers like double 85s, particularly as sidemount cylinders.

I LOVE double 80s (backmount OR sidemount), which provide redundancy AND extra gas. I also dive double 100s, and double 120s (sidemounted) for recreational dives, and double 130s for technical dives (with appropriate decompression gas cylinders in addition).

I wouldn't be in a rush to sell your 85s, just because you bought a set of 112s.

CAVEAT: All this is MY opinion, what works for ME. You have to decide what works best for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom