Subtle sexism among instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sorry that you had that experience. Maybe I've just been lucky! Maybe if I'd had an experience like that, I'd feel differently.

I try to look at it this way: there are people, and there are a--holes.

You're either an a--hole, or you're not, and that's about all it boils down too. Yes, it is a reality, that there are a--holes out there, no matter who or what they are.

I like having a place for women to be able to come to and discuss our issues (not everyone wants to hear about PMS), but let's do it without creating a bigger division. The labeling of this section as 'women only' would be comparable to having a 'blacks only' or 'whites only' section. How well would that fly???

No need to draw additional attention to differences we already know are there. :)

Otter-cat,

Sorry to hear of your expereiences. Mine have all been positive. In fact, one of the current dive mags (sorry I foget which) ran an article about the lack of disparity between the genders when it comes to diving. Actually they lauded women as being:

More conservative in estimating our abilities,
More likely to call a dive in a questionable circumstance,
Not as highly competitive or macho, and
More willing to follow the guidelines established for safe operating/diving.

In physiological terms - our body fat distribution (more evenly from legs through chest) aids in bouyancy. Ever see a man with really lean legs? They drop down (my husband has this problem - all his fat is in his torso, he's a sinker!)

In fact, these attributes are more highly regarded in the dive community in general today - note the name change and connotation from "sport" diving to "recreational" diving.

Most of my dive masters have been men and I have never heard any reference to "pink snorkels". No one has ever objected to buddying with me. I carry all my own gear and setup same, I trust my skills and competency to carry me and my buddy through whatever the day may bring.

(I will admit I've not always enjoyed working with the female dive masters I've encountered - anybody else had to deal with nasty dive-mistresses?)

Good luck! And as the aforementioned mag article said - I look forward to the day when we talk about divers who happen to be women and not women divers!

I agree with you on the idea of changing the name of the "Women Only" Section, it sounds quite ridiculous - and almost racist.

I'm glad to hear some people DO have good experiences with male divers - and personnaly, I'll leave this thread alone.
Why ? Because I just think I'm too angry to post again. In fact, a DM (the same I was talking about, the one in Corsica) tried to rape me... :(

Let's try to forget the a$$holes and continue diving.

Geeez, Amanda, that is really horrible. What a jerk. :whack:

I'm genuinely sorry that you had to endure that. I hope I'm not way off base when I say this... but try to keep a positive attitude. And, as hard as it may be, try to remember that not all guys are like that. You can't walk around holding a grudge against all males because of one a--hole! I believe that most of the guys out there in scuba are descent fellows, and you should give them a chance. Don't let that jerk ruin your whole perception of the sport.

You said it best though...let's forget about the a--holes and continue diving! :wink:

Best wishes

Beth

Actually there's no need to worry too much, I have a boyfriend, so it was easier to endure :).

I'm not mad at ALL men, I know that it'd be stupid. Anyway, I learned my lesson ! never try to hit back a legionnary ! :eek:ut: Let's laugh about it...

See you in other threads then !

Back
Top Bottom