Related to Sexism in Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lv2dive

Formerly known as KatePNAtl
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
In the link at the bottom of this post, starting around the 6:45 mark, the head of a DIR agency makes several interesting comments. They did not appear in any way to be ill-intentioned, but they really surprised me given the agency and the position of the speaker.

The only reason I mention it is a DIR agency is that its my understanding all agencies teaching DIR place emphasis on some core concepts, including:
- equipment standardization
- Starting w/ equipment at recreational level that will form basis for equipment needed through technical diving

In that context, I found the following comments on the video even more sexist than had they come from a someone representing an agency with no DIR ties/background: "Well that's one of our big moves in 2017. Is to really come out with a UTD/DIR woman's BC, women's line, because, to be honest you know, a backplate and a harness just doesn't look all that sexy; I hate to say it, but it just doesn't."

A little later in the video a reference is made to "hello kitty"?!??

The last point I'll bring up was related to a new line of fins for women - on the face of it, yes, sounds like a good idea - fins designed for women's feet would be great/welcomed. But goodwill is lost when a comment is added "let's say I'm a female diver whose not going to be towing around big sets of doubles and 14 stages..." ?!?? Does that mean the new girl fins UTD is making are for the 80/80/80 market only, and the rest of the girls will still use the boy fins ?!?! WTH?

Look, none of the individual comments is in aand of itself that bad, I get that. But taken together, especially, they are repesemtative of a type of sexism women in tech diving deal with. Do I get worked up about it when it happens to me personally? Every once in a while, I'll be honest! but not nearly as much as I used to, skin grows back tougher :).

At the end of the day, I thought this was a good example of some of the subtle sexism that exists and may help draw a picture.

Thanks!

UTD vBlog: A New Year's message for 2017 · UTD Scuba Diving

Note: full disclosure I do have GUE training but also TDI, NSSCDS etc., Until this video, I had nothing against UTD (well, except a dislike of their manifolded SM system) and have in fact referred people in some parts of the country to take UTD classes.

First off, Im not a woman (duck) and I am a UTD instructor so there's that....

I agree totally that the comments regarding "not sexy" etc were definitely sexist, I would say unintentionally but still.
However, this sexism in the dive gear manufacture realm is an odd thing which is not helped by many of the women divers that I meet. All you need to see is the racks of "women's" gear for sale where the only difference is colour and how they are lapped up by so many women.

I have heard comments from women about Jet Fins ("Im sure they are great but they are so ugly..." etc) and watched women, against my advice, buy inferior, higher priced gear because it was "sexier" (their words, not mine...)

As far as the fins go, my wife dives kinda-DIR as she looks to me for advice on gear etc (Im the tech-head) but she drew the line at Jet fins. She would love to back kick etc but the fins are heavy for her and she dives max 2 tanks in SM but mostly 1, I cant really justify to her why she should abandon her splits.

If there were a light, stylish pair of fins for the rec-DIR diver of smaller stature out there, she would be diving them already. As an equipment manufacturer, I can imagine the frustration at looking at a market share that exists only due to cosmetic changes for "women divers" and being unable to compete without throwing out function.

I also know a very liberated, feminist woman who owns an assault rifle in pink Hello Kitty because it's "cute". Each to their own I guess.

The real fear is not the adding of color, but subtracting quality, like those "Pink Tool Kits for Ladies!" In which the hammer is made out of aluminum and Bakelite!
Besides, NO ONE loaded up on life supporting gear does, or even should, look sexy or cute since that is a total distraction from the already task loaded job of staying alive and, say, catching lionfish.
I do believe color can add safety if it makes people easier to spot, or guarantees no one will swipe your pink flashlight or whatever.

I don't think the motivation is sexy, they may either want to sell more, or believe it will entice more women to take up diving. But image-first people are not going to be a safe addition in my opinion.

There's nothing wrong with "hello kitty" heck I like hello kitty, but the extent to which i want that branding on my dive gear is on the duc tape to mark my clips.

OMS slip streams are a paddle stream that have a similar shape to jets but are much lighter. I know Apeks also makes a light paddle fin, in colors even, and believe other manufacturers do as well.

As far as the fins go, my wife dives kinda-DIR as she looks to me for advice on gear etc (Im the tech-head) but she drew the line at Jet fins. She would love to back kick etc but the fins are heavy for her and she dives max 2 tanks in SM but mostly 1, I cant really justify to her why she should abandon her splits.

"Well that's one of our big moves in 2017. Is to really come out with a UTD/DIR woman's BC, women's line, because, to be honest you know, a backplate and a harness just doesn't look all that sexy; I hate to say it, but it just doesn't."
I'm sure the womens BCs will match the new line of UTD push-up wetsuits and UTD waist trainers in color and in style. LOL

Seem like AG knows what women want...

He digs himself quite the hole with his verbal diarrhea. Extreme scuba makeover ladies. Ditch your bp/w amd jet fins and your ugly double tanks and black drysuits this dude can teach us and kit us up so we look sexy in our hello kitty gear, then guys will want to dive with us.
Maybe he can make that delrin manifold pink too. He should make rainbow gear for lgbtq.

However, this sexism in the dive gear manufacture realm is an odd thing which is not helped by many of the women divers that I meet. All you need to see is the racks of "women's" gear for sale where the only difference is colour and how they are lapped up by so many women.

I have heard comments from women about Jet Fins ("Im sure they are great but they are so ugly..." etc) and watched women, against my advice, buy inferior, higher priced gear because it was "sexier" (their words, not mine...)

Interesting points. It sounds like there is a subset (not all women divers) who place substantial value on 'feminine-looking' gear (to what extent if any that overlaps with 'sexy' is another issue). This subset has money to spend. Businesses are going to market to them. I wonder where the fine line is between marketing to that subset that wants feminine-themed products, and 'sexism.'

Richard.

Last edited:
the manufacturers are not going to stop, they do have to "sell what sells" but my fear is that quality women's suits will disappear leaving is no choice but the most expensive custom fit option.

I look to the skills of a diver rather than the gear they wear

Back
Top Bottom