• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Subsurface support for Divesoft Freedom?

Discussion in 'Dive Software' started by estresao, Jan 9, 2020.

1. estresao

estresao Angel Fish

Hi every one,

I'm mulling over the idea of getting a Divesoft Freedom computer and was checking whether it's one of te supported by Subsurface.

What I've found is that seems like at some point they were supported, but they are no longer supported.... or something similar.

In that thread @barracuda annouced a new Subsurface version which included support for Divedoft Freedom computers: Announcing Subsurface 4.4

But the current supported computers list doesn't contain them anymore: Supported Dive Computers | Subsurface

So I assume Subsurface team decided to no longer support Divesoft computers for some reason?

Thanks!

2. Sean Walberg

Sean Walberg Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    From some poking at the source, it looks like the Divesoft functionality is limited to importing files generated from the Divesoft software, not talking to the device itself (which would be part of libdivecomputer). Also see section 5.3.1 of the manual - Subsurface Version 4 User Manual | Subsurface

3. atdotde

atdotde Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    If I remember correctly, the Divesoft Freedom behaves like a USB flash drive when connected to a PC. So the import to Subsurface is not via a download (using libdivecomputer which is - unfortunately - used to compile the list of supported dive computers) but you simply open the file on the drive. So, yes, it is supported by Subsurface.

4. estresao

estresao Angel Fish

Using "Import -> Import log files" menu option?

5. Sean Walberg

Sean Walberg Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Yea, and if you want there should be a filter to only show the Divesoft file extensions. I'm just going on what I saw in the code and docs; it's looking for a file to read in vs talking to a dive computer over the libdivecomputer mechanism. Pretty nice if it can mount the watch as a disk and read it in like atdotde says.

estresao likes this.
  6. estresao

estresao Angel Fish

Many thanks Sean.