Subsurface 5.0 has been released

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone have a fix for Win10? I can now no longer connect ANY Shearwater product to Subsurface via bluetooth on any Windows device (multiple PC's). Built in Bluetooth not successful, and the LE Dongle SW provides doesn't load working drivers.... I know I can do it through the mobile android cloud app, but I have the daughter's computer (Peregrine) for her dives log that I just used to open from my own Microsoft cloud storage, and maintain a dive log there for her, independent of my own.

I'm not keen on having to create a whole new Subsurface cloud "account" for her (more accounts and passwords)...

Options?

Anyone have a fix for Win10? I can now no longer connect ANY Shearwater product to Subsurface via bluetooth on any Windows device (multiple PC's). Built in Bluetooth not successful, and the LE Dongle SW provides doesn't load working drivers.... I know I can do it through the mobile android cloud app, but I have the daughter's computer (Peregrine) for her dives log that I just used to open from my own Microsoft cloud storage, and maintain a dive log there for her, independent of my own.
There is quite a bit of documentation on this problem in the user manual. Fundamentally, the Windows Bluetooth stack is a challenge for us, and the way Shearwater dive computers respond to BLE connections is also a challenge for us. The dive computer remembers which device it last talked to - and it can be challenging to get it to talk to a different device (i.e., different computer, different phone, etc). Worse, on Windows the pairing is extremely unreliable. So what seems to work is to unpair in Windows, pair again, start Subsurface, try to select the dive computer. And if that fails, do the whole thing again, starting with unpair. Sometimes it takes five or more tries.
We know that it works (as a few "Windows only" people have gotten it to work), but in general that's my least preferred way to download from a Shearwater dive computer.
I'm not keen on having to create a whole new Subsurface cloud "account" for her (more accounts and passwords)...
Well, you know what they say - to each their own. We (the Subsurface developers) give you something that generally works and that is absolutely free of cost (and free software on top of that). And on top of it, I provide you with an equally free cloud service that allows you to connect different devices. No strings attached. And the combination of those two things appears to solve your problem.
If you don't want to use it... well... yeah, not sure what to tell you.

@dirkhh - you guys are amazing, and I in no way claim any wrong in the outstanding service you provide.

Thanks for the suggestions on things to try. Fingers crossed. When you say "unpair", I don't know what you mean. I did try the clear computers in the Settings, but they were there even picking that.

In regard to your last statement, perhaps I am confused... I don't see how your system can provide me two different cloud files, my log and my daughter's, both accessible from a single copy of Subsurface. I actually have the wife's that way too. Are you satin there is a way to do this from a single PC?

@dirkhh
Thanks for the suggestions on things to try. Fingers crossed. When you say "unpair", I don't know what you mean. I did try the clear computers in the Settings, but they were there even picking that.
"unpair" as in "forget" in the Windows Bluetooth settings. This really is explained in the user manual :)

@dirkhh
In regard to your last statement, perhaps I am confused... I don't see how your system can provide me two different cloud files, my log and my daughter's, both accessible from a single copy of Subsurface. I actually have the wife's that way too. Are you satin there is a way to do this from a single PC?
Of course you can do that. Simply create different profiles.
Your main profile is likely your own. And then you can create additional ones by calling Subsurface with a --user=xxx option. So for example
subsurface --user=wife
and
subsurface --user=daughter
Each of these profiles has separate settings, which means you can set a different cloud email address and password. They will also remember the respective dive computers for downloading, etc. Makes the whole thing rather convenient. I know of a few dive shops that set up accounts for each student this way. Student uses their own cloud account and they get the certification dives downloaded from the school dive computer as part of the package.

On Windows you can create shortcut that include command line arguments, so this should allow you to just have three different icons for this.
Let me know if this doesn't make sense and you need more explanations :)

On Windows you can create shortcut that include command line arguments, so this should allow you to just have three different icons for this.
Let me know if this doesn't make sense and you need more explanations :)

well beyond my comprehension..... manual is not detailed enough for me for that..... :(

As to unpairing/pairing, I can pair my PerdixAI, but get a "data error" small splash screen window (unlike the solid red band at the bottom I usually get) when I attempt to download the log in Subsurface. Peregrine won't pair with my PC (will try another one) so not much success there for now...

Multiple accounts: Do I first log out of my account, then do I clear the fields in the settings and submit additional email addresses and passwords to establish additional accounts? Hopefully I can log back in to my account somehow? Lost on how the multiple users can work....

Okay, I now have the two cloud accounts (will do third for wife once I get this working), and can get to them by changing email addresses/passwords in Preferences... Would like to know how to set up the icons/shortcut for each...

First find your Subsurface shortcut. The easiest way I find to do that is to search in your start bar, then use the "Open file location" option:

upload_2021-8-16_8-52-12.png

Then you should be presented with a window that shows Subsurface and Uninstall Subsurface. You want to right-click Subsurface, then select "Copy" from the popup menu:

(You may be asked confirmation for Adminstrator permission. Select "Continue".

upload_2021-8-16_8-53-57.png

You'll now have another file called "Subsurface - Copy" appear just above or below the Subsurface that was there earlier. Right-click the new Copy, and this time select "Properties" (the very last item on the pop-up menu). In the "Target" box, add --user=wife like this, then hit OK.:

upload_2021-8-16_8-56-9.png

It's probably also a good idea to right-click on the "Subsurface - Copy" again, and select "Rename" to give it a more meaningful name.

Now, if you go back through your Start Menu to Subsurface, you should see a new option:
upload_2021-8-16_8-57-33.png

For anyone learning from this, execute that file, then go to Preferences, Cloud and then input your email and password for your cloud account, and click save. Your cloud should then be available.

Do the same for each shortcuy for the separate cloud account...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom