Style Change: Post Information Up Top

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ted S

SB Co-Founder
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
In the past weeks several users have voiced some concern about the width of pages, when factoring in sidebars, browser bars and monitor sizes it would appear that for many users, our pages are simply too wide. To help alleviate this situation and make pages generally easier to browse I have modified the way in which posts are shown. Instead of display the author’s username and other “postbit” details on the left side of the post (“Classic” Style); the information is now displayed at the top of the post (“Modern” style).

This change provides several important advantages over the old style:
  • Users with small monitors or other sidebar elements will have fewer problems reading posts and content will rarely appear “squeezed” as it has in the past.
  • Scrolling through posts becomes easier because content is arranged in a more ergonomic method that you should be able to follow easier.
  • Users who are familiar with other forum systems will find ScubaBoard more along the lines of what they are use to providing for even greater portability.
  • This change does not alter any functionality of the board as every bit of information is still intact, this modification is simply meant to make things easier!
Of course there are users who prefer the old “Classic” style and we want to accommodate your needs as well. To switch back to the classic view you simply need to go to your User Cp --> Options page, scroll down until you reach the section "Thread Display Options" and change "Postbit Style" to "Classic". This will make every post you view use the Classic (old) layout instead of the new one so long as you are logged in to your account.

If you are uncertain as to the differences between Classic and Modern postbit styles please look at the following images which compare the two styles. If you have any questions or issues with this change please post them here or in Site Support.

Always hard at work trying to do the impossible. You can't please everyone but thanks for trying!

Joe

Tech Admin [*:
Users who are familiar with other forum systems will find ScubaBoard more along the lines of what they are use to providing for even greater portability.
Other forum systems? There are other forums besides ScubaBoard??

Rick Inman:
Other forum systems? There are other forums besides ScubaBoard??

Of course not, it was a.... typo :baaa:

thanks for trying to make everyone happy, i sit here with my 19 inch monitor and don't like the new "modern look" The classic look seems to be so much more space effective, instead of 10 lines per post for user information, they gotta get bigger screeens, or adjust their resolutions, most sites don't work well with less than 1024x840, they gotta get used to it. Higher resolution is the "modern" way

why not move the sidebar to the right hand side, so we have to scroll to see ads, and have the posts be like they used to, that will make everyone happy. And as for the advertisers, I am a marketing nerd, companies are not as worried about those with smaller screens, because they must not have available cash expendable to buy a larger monitor or the latest dive knife/flashlight/signaling device/magnifying glass widget. There, all boiled down.

ooo problem solved here, thanks, i read one of the previous threads about the side bars, i have returned my user settings to classic mode, so i won't be griping any more. Again, thank you for your hard work, i know you all work very hard, we appreciate it. It is hard to keep everyone happy

Please keep in mind that this system is simply a new trial, based on the current feedback I am going to turn it "off" such that everyone is in classic mode and after some testing perhaps modern mode will be used again, or it may simply remain one of many possible options.

Mine was Modern earlier but now its reverted to Classic without me doing anything even though my options still say Modern. Not a major problem but for what its worth I like the modern stlye

Cheers

Classic is definitely got a "cleaner" more "professional" look to it.

I appreciate what you were trying to accomplish though. I'm sure we'll see a "new and improved" version of modern at some point in the future.

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom