Style Change: Post Information Up Top

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:hmmm: I think I prefer the Classic, but if you can give members a choice, what else can they gripe about? Too many choices? :sod:

98% of them would never know to look here or ask.

Ah well, thanks for the constant updates. Sometimes we have to be dragged into something new. I avoided computers completely into the 21st Century, but had to learn how so I could come to SB. I'm learning, I now have a laptop, and I have a wireless card ordered so I can cruise West Texas online. :shades:

I think that I like the classic look... but at the same time, I didn't mind the modern look either, it was just something different to get used to.

You're doing a great job trying to come up with something that works for everyone... a job that I would not want to have!

Thanks-
Kayla

Thanks so much for always trying to provide a better product and more options. It is impossible to always please all of the people. But you guys defilnitely give it a big try.

No matter what the final decision is, content is what we are here for, so keep up the great work and thanks again.

maria

Thanks for the kind words! In my never ending quest to make everyone happy we add a lot of features, some are liked by many, others are not. In the case of this feature I imagine people would like it after some time as it took me a few weeks to get use to it, but I don't see any reason to force a change for very little functionality.

When are we brining back the Reputation Points? :D
:lol:

Uh...did you change it back to Classic? My theme is still showing the 'No Sidebar' (temp). I really liked the Modern theme.

Yes, there was not a good response to the Modern Theme so I reverted to classic. Hopefully we can add this as an option in the future.

Tech Admin:
In the past weeks several users have voiced some concern about the width of pages, when factoring in sidebars, browser bars and monitor sizes it would appear that for many users, our pages are simply too wide. To help alleviate this situation and make pages generally easier to browse I have modified the way in which posts are shown. Instead of display the author’s username and other “postbit” details on the left side of the post (“Classic” Style); the information is now displayed at the top of the post (“Modern” style).

This change provides several important advantages over the old style:
  • Users with small monitors or other sidebar elements will have fewer problems reading posts and content will rarely appear “squeezed” as it has in the past.
  • Scrolling through posts becomes easier because content is arranged in a more ergonomic method that you should be able to follow easier.
  • Users who are familiar with other forum systems will find ScubaBoard more along the lines of what they are use to providing for even greater portability.
  • This change does not alter any functionality of the board as every bit of information is still intact, this modification is simply meant to make things easier!
Of course there are users who prefer the old “Classic” style and we want to accommodate your needs as well. To switch back to the classic view you simply need to go to your User Cp --> Options page, scroll down until you reach the section "Thread Display Options" and change "Postbit Style" to "Classic". This will make every post you view use the Classic (old) layout instead of the new one so long as you are logged in to your account.

If you are uncertain as to the differences between Classic and Modern postbit styles please look at the following images which compare the two styles. If you have any questions or issues with this change please post them here or in Site Support.

Hello,

I would love to try changing between Classic and Modern styles, but there is no "Postbit Style" setting available to me in the Control Panel. "Thread Display Options" gives me the choices Linear Mode (Oldest First), Linear Mode (Newest First), Threaded Mode, and Hybrid Mode, but there doesn't seem to be a "Postbit Style."

In any case, I like the suggestion to put the ads on the right hand side of the screen (or top and bottom). Yes, I could increase screen resolution, but print would be too small for me. I could also buy a new monitor for home (my place of work probably wouldn't understand me needed an upgraded monitor on my desk for Scubaboard), but over the last few years I have repeatedly chosen to buy scuba gear or go on a scuba vacation instead of buying a new computer (advertisers should like this...).

I can use Scubaboard fine, it's just cumbersome having to scroll to the right everytime I want to read a new set of posts.

Just my 2 cents! Keep up the great work with the board!!

- Phil

Phil,
Adding this feature back in is high on my list because of the needs of users like you. Rest assured we will have a solution of some sorts shortly after our next ugprade.

Of course there are users who prefer the old “Classic” style and we want to accommodate your needs as well. To switch back to the classic view you simply need to go to your User Cp --> Options page, scroll down until you reach the section "Thread Display Options" and change "Postbit Style" to "Classic". This will make every post you view use the Classic (old) layout instead of the new one so long as you are logged in to your account.

??? Can't find this anywere, need help, I fear change.....:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom