Stuck between S-Tek and Halcyon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chiefvest

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I rushed to buy my first equipment during OW class and already want to move onto a BPW after diving more after OW. I originally bought the Aqualung ProHD+ (Petrol Color) and am starting to realize that i dont like the bulk in front and sides. Ive been looking into BPW over the hydros pro just in case i ever decide to get into doubles. Im torn between getting the halcyon or the S-Tek Pro line up. I want to get into Ice Diving and Ice recovery. Any advice would be greatly welcomed and appreciated.

I rushed to buy my first equipment during OW class and already want to move onto a BPW after diving more after OW. I originally bought the Aqualung ProHD+ (Petrol Color) and am starting to realize that i dont like the bulk in front and sides. Ive been looking into BPW over the hydros pro just in case i ever decide to get into doubles. Im torn between getting the halcyon or the S-Tek Pro line up. I want to get into Ice Diving and Ice recovery. Any advice would be greatly welcomed and appreciated.

I think they are made by the same company. Like their regs. We dive S-Tek because we’re dealers for them, but buy whichever one is more readily available to your location.

I think they are made by the same company. Like their regs. We dive S-Tek because we’re dealers for them, but buy whichever one is more readily available to your location.
Oh interesting. I was not aware they were made by the same company!

I was under the impression that Halcyon manufactured their own plates and wings, am I wrong?
They definitely make their own wings (per their Production page) but it's less clear about the backplates. I've seen elsewhere on SB the claim about ScubaPro and Halcyon using the same manufacturer for plates, but no source for it. Based on H's production page regarding how they review/revise materials selection, it's not impossible they may have switched up manufacturers, or use multiple due to the various materials they employ in their plates.

Im torn between getting the halcyon or the S-Tek Pro line up. I want to get into Ice Diving and Ice recovery. Any advice would be greatly welcomed and appreciated.
Consider also how easy it is to replace parts in the ScubaPro, especially if you're looking at the Pro vs. the Pure. One benefit of BPWs lies in the ability to service the gear with parts more commonly accessible than what you get in other BC designs.

I use the S Tek plate but I use it with a diverite wing and a standard STA and I have also replaced all of the webbing with my own set up.

I bought my first Halcyon BP/W directly out of OW and have certainly been happy with them for all these years, but there are cheaper options too. A SS plate, 30# wing, and a simple Hog harness from almost anybody should do you well.

1722805197865.png
Handle looks handy.

It can be but not much of a big deal but the plate is very comfortable. It needs an STA to work with single tanks, the made for it SP one is a work of art but a standard one will bolt on too, there are no tank band cuts in the plate which is why you need an STA.

It needs an STA to work
Good point. 'Would not get plate without cylinder band slots myself. If you go Halcyon, make certain to get Traveler wing with like slots.
1722806539765.png
1722806571344.png

Back
Top Bottom