stuck 2nd stage faceplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lobodelmar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Can anyone help. I need to unscrew the face plate of an Aqualung Titan 2nd stage. know that taking it in is a better option, but its become personal. It is definatly a 'screw' plate, it has no pin, just simply screws on and off so can be played with underwater, should you need too. I have schemttic plans, I've had advice from Aqualung, i have no tools (which would be easier). I've tried heating it up. need some bright spark with an inventive solution.

cheers

Does anyone have any good ideas about unscrewing the face plate off a regulator. It is definately a screw on/off face, it can be done underwater should you feel the urge. It really needs an ultrasound, but this has become personal and I want to do this at home. the place is wedged on real tight. it doesn't ahve any pins or special locks, just a simple screw thread.
basically loking for some 'old divers trick'.

Dryglove:
Try using a mouse pad for more friction but please dont disassemble your reg underwater unless you have been trained by someone on how to do so.
Wow, we need training for everything these days. It's amazing that I'm allowed to use a vending machine without proper authorized training!

I do and I have. No need to call a dive 60 feet and 5 minutes in because you got a few pieces of grit in your second stage.

And I only have 83 dives! Gasp!

lobodelmar:
Does anyone have any good ideas about unscrewing the face plate off a regulator. It is definately a screw on/off face, it can be done underwater should you feel the urge. It really needs an ultrasound, but this has become personal and I want to do this at home. the place is wedged on real tight. it doesn't ahve any pins or special locks, just a simple screw thread.
What kind of reg are we talking about? and have you tryed warm water while the reg is under pressure? this will let the faceplate expand and any dryed grit to become pliable

lobodelmar:

After pounding it with your palm (like a pickle jar) put a screw driver through the holes in the face plate as a lever (be careful not to poke the diaphram) and while putting gentle pressure in a counter clockwise direction, gently tap the face plate with a small ballpean hammer. It should work loose but if the face plate breaks, buy a new one. It's probably about US$8.

Wow, I need a course for this?

OK what happened to me is that I had a reg faceplate come unscrewed and fall off at 25m.
So of course without thinking I screwed it back together at 25m without remembering that the rubber diaphragm was compressed by the water pressure.
When I got back on the boat I tried to disassemble it to inspect it and of course there was no way I could shift it. The rubber had expanded.
Next dive I loosened it slightly - problem resolved.

The diaphragm is not compressed by the water pressure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom