stuck 2nd stage faceplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems like you guys are blowing things out of text. I never said you needed a course but to have been trained by someone on how to do so. Some divers dont have a clue what the inside of a second stage reg looks like much less needing to take one apart underwater. How in the world a face plate can completely unscrewed and fall off underwater is beyond me. Sounds like poor predive-equipment checks and maintenance on your part. I couldnt imagine trying to disassmble and reassemble my second stage underwater wearing drygloves and really see no reason too. Call the dive and go fix your reg if you know how to do so. Sounds like a lot of high powered internet talk of divers trying to duplicate GI3 to me.

lobodelmar:
Does anyone have any good ideas about unscrewing the face plate off a regulator. It is definately a screw on/off face, it can be done underwater should you feel the urge. It really needs an ultrasound, but this has become personal and I want to do this at home. the place is wedged on real tight. it doesn't ahve any pins or special locks, just a simple screw thread.
basically loking for some 'old divers trick'.
You are talking about servicing this reg, not taking it apart underwater, right? I don't know any diver's trick, but I would try the same trick I use to unstick other stuck parts - heat. Try soaking the reg in warm water, and then try to unsrew it. The heat may cause the stuck parts to expand enough that they come apart wthout using a screwdriver and hammer.

lobodelmar:
Can anyone help. I need to unscrew the face plate of an Aqualung Titan 2nd stage. know that taking it in is a better option, but its become personal. It is definatly a 'screw' plate, it has no pin, just simply screws on and off so can be played with underwater, should you need too. I have schemttic plans, I've had advice from Aqualung, i have no tools (which would be easier). I've tried heating it up. need some bright spark with an inventive solution.

cheers

Man, I'd avoid heating anything to do with life sustaining equipment. Except maybe that frying pan to cook a tasty bug tail...

WD

didn'y think i'd get so much response.

ok. A bit more detail to twiddle your minds.... some face plates CAN unscrew underwater, not that I do it per se. whilst teach, believe it or not the diapghram can get pushed in when entering, esspecially from a backward role, hence you MIGHT wanna sort it out. Anyway, I mentioned the ability to unscrew to stree that it can unscrew. tried hot water, cos, i someone mentioned, heat could slightly, temporarily expand the plastic (like an ultrasound). It terms of being qualified, I am qualified, for this brand, its just that the shop I was working in got trashed by the tsunami in Thailand, and I am now back in europe, with my salvaged reg. The first stage is absoulutly fine, so no need for a service, I just wanna clean the 2nd stage. the mouse pads an intersestingone however, didn't work, but interesting, as were rubber gloves,kinky, but didn't work!

I've had a stuck Apeks face plate before.

I removed it without damage by taking a fat cable tie, and threading it through two of the slots in the faceplate towards the edge, and basically used it to pull the faceplate in the direction of the thread. The extra leverage was the key. Not sure if your Titan has slots in the faceplate that this would work with, the Apeks have a series of slots designed into the plate.

I wouldn't use a screwdriver as suggested elsewhere - too easy to slip and poke a hole in the diaphragm.

you CAN put the cable tie throu' unfortunately its only the rim which needs unscrewing. Basically I should get off my arse and get to a dealer with the right key, but you know when you just gotta do it yourself!!!!

lobodelmar:
Can anyone help. I need to unscrew the face plate of an Aqualung Titan 2nd stage. know that taking it in is a better option, but its become personal. It is definatly a 'screw' plate, it has no pin, just simply screws on and off so can be played with underwater, should you need too. I have schemttic plans, I've had advice from Aqualung, i have no tools (which would be easier). I've tried heating it up. need some bright spark with an inventive solution.

cheers

These ones are real pain in the butt. Aqualung has new ones available that will take a proper tool. Take it to your LDS. I think they're allowed to swap it out for free.

Failing that, if you have a pair of rubber gloves in the house you can try those. Just use the open palm of your hand to hold the retaining ring and try turning the other part. You'll need the rubber gloves for the friction.

R..

put the ends of the handles of a pair of pliers in opposing holes of the faceplate and unscrew. Works everytime on my Apeks and doesn't damage the reg.

I'm a DIYer with my SP stuff so I understand where you are coming from. Just the independence is satisfying. I finally had to dig up some pictures of the titan to understand the problem. Sometime you just have to believe that these difficult designs are entirely intentional.

Looks to me that if the std techniques of soaking to reduce any deposits and warm/cold (cold on the male threaded part & warm on the female) are not doing the trick, then you might be able to get an edge with a good strap wrench. Doesn't look like a lot of surface (or surface seperation between body and retainer) to grab but you might try a tight rubber band around the edge of the retainer to give the strap wrench something to grab that is of greater diameter than the body. If rubber band slips & you are really determined, you might consider glueing the rubber band in place so it can't slip. A more permenant glue if you want to leave the rubber band in place or a removable glue if not.

Another idea: How about a zip tie around outside of the retainer, with or without a rubber band between it and the retainer. That should bive you a surface that you can grab, aided by one of those rubber rags used to open jar lids. Or grab the tag of the zip tie with a pair of pliers.

I did not see a tool from Peterbuilt that looked like it would work. Anybody got a picture of the recommended tool?

Please let me know how it comes out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom