Strong legs = non-split fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm new to Scuba and when I was at the LDS getting all my gear, I was recommended split fins and went with them on that recommendation. Since doing a few dives now, I keep hearing everyone say I should use non-split based on my leg strength. And I did notice having a little trouble swimming in a river current recently with my split fins. I do have considerably greater than average leg strength and used to be on the swim team when I was younger, does this mean I should be using a non-split fin? If so, what do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

I don't like split fins.. but I don't have overly strong legs or anything. I like stiff paddle fins because they let me be very precise in my movements. Even small foot movements generate propulsion.. I don't have to do big bicycle kicks to get going or anything.

Well big bicycle kicks isn't the correct method for using splits. If you're doing that no wonder you have trouble in a river or current.

I've been using splits for a few years. With I go back to my old jet fins it doesn't take long for me to hate them BUT I'm not as young and strong as I once was.

I hate splits for the same reason that most people like them - they feel like they aren't there. I like the feel of the Jets, they lend themselves to a long, slow, strong kick. As to my leg strength, it's not great, but I swam competitively for ten years (sadly, not fast enough to swim in college), so maybe that helps.

Jarrett:
I'm new to Scuba and when I was at the LDS getting all my gear, I was recommended split fins and went with them on that recommendation. Since doing a few dives now, I keep hearing everyone say I should use non-split based on my leg strength. And I did notice having a little trouble swimming in a river current recently with my split fins. I do have considerably greater than average leg strength and used to be on the swim team when I was younger, does this mean I should be using a non-split fin? If so, what do you recommend? Thanks in advance.
I would recommend you try them both. You could easily end up owning both.

It is possible for a strong diver to overdrive split fins. It is really noticeable if the diver needs to put on some speed. It is more likely if there is more swimming resistance, like doubles or camera gear.

I had to borrow a pair of split fins on holiday. My normal fin is a nice stuff Mares Avanti X3.

With the split fins they felt different. Very different. And not nice either. My normal finning action it felt like they werent there - ie my legs were going and and down with no resistance but i wasnt going anywhere. A feeling akin to trying to swim with wetsuit boots on and no fins. To get any sort of speed or distance i was putting in a hell of a lot more strokes than without.
I also tried to frog kick and had little or no success (i can do it with my Avantis) and finning backwards didnt work at all.

In a way im glad i had to try them so i know i never want to own a pair!

That said i do know 2 people that swear by them (i just swear AT them!). Both these people are female with not particulary strong leg muscles.

One other thing abour swimming into a current is that a diver produces significantly less drag when perfectly horizontal in the water. I know that I have to make far fewer strokes to cover a distance when horizontal than when off-trim by as little as 20 degrees.

Swimming INTO a current !?

Not for me. Thats why someone invented (D)SMBs :)

Strong legs mean big muscles, big muscles mean big cramp potential, try both. My vote is good split fins or butter soft mono's. Apollo's are my fin of choice. Sid

I have been using Atomic Splits for about 4.5 years and wouldn't go back to a regular fin on a bet. They take a little bit of time to get used to them but are absolutely the best for control and ease of finning.
I've only got about 400 dives on the last set and just recently replaced the straps with springs. Someone earlier said try both splits and non but give them both a fair trial.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom