Strong legs = non-split fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimLap:
where did you split them and how far up. I've go two pairs of blades and would not trade them for anything. But your mod sounds interesting.

Pictures are in my gallery. They are about 5 years old with over 300 dives.

erichK:
When I got back into diving, our LDS owner talked my teenage daughter and I into buying the then new grey SP Twinjets. We both found them very comfortable--especially the soft, well shaped foot pockets-- but lacking in ability to transform leg motion into thrust in high demand situations. At 50+, I also found them difficult to put on and take off. However, when I tried switching to a pair of my old paddle fins, I felt like I'd put on boards, and they we certainly didn't seem to move any more efficiently...well, maybe a tad, at full thrust...until the cramps set in (and I do work out regularly!).

We finally got a good deal on a couple of pairs of Apollo Biofin XT Pro's (the extra stiff, natural rubber grey splits, with the steel coil straps). Their efficiency is fantastic. They seem both faster and less taxing on the legs than the traditional jets I used for years. And they're also stiff enough to allow almost any kick, from frog to dolphin to bicycle. They are a dream to put on and take off, but weigh a ton, and their stiff footpockets are not nearly as nice as the TJ's were. (Make sure you buy them large enough if you wear a drysuit...their is virtually NO give!)

So we've kept the TJ's for easy diving and use the XT's for the nasty stiff...but probably will not gom back to paddle fins. Except when we dive whatever Scuba Iguana provides in the Galapagos this Christmas: the Biofins are just too big and heavy to carry along! :06:

Before someone fires yet another salvo in this neverending debate, please do yourself the favour of trying on a pair of Biofin XT or similar later generation stiff splits and and really learning to use them. You may still decide to go back to your jetfins or turtles, but will certainly discover that these, too, are capable of THRUST.

I am with Erich on this. I use the original Apollo Biofins. The lack of resistence takes some getting used to. That, I think is why some believe they are ineffective. In another post I made a comparison to airplane fly by wire controls having "artificial feel" for benefit of pilots.
If I upgrade I will stick with the splits but go for one stiffer and not as heavy as the rubber apollos. I also noted elsewhere that in my own unsanctioned uncontroled tests in a 25 meter pool, the Apollos consistently turned in better times than my USD original blades without muscle burn.

The only evidence I have to go on my basis of bigger muscles means big cramps is from two of my most frequent dive buddies who happen to be on the large size. I am your average guy, perhaps small. 5-8 170. My Mongo dive buddy is 6-3, 280, with calves that make movie Popeye look SMALL. My other buddy is 6-2 260 and not small either. When they use to cramp up when using rented mono fins it would be near impossible to stop the cramps. We ran into a few cramp problems far from shore and they caused serious problems. Since both changed over to scuba pro twin jets neither has had a leg cramp and both move just fine underwater.

Another buddy of mine dives with Yellow colored scuba pro (mono) jet fins. He has some serius speed and never has cramp problems because his jet fins are like buddah. According to him, when Scuba pro changed the color on a few of their jet fins it changed the composition of the rubber and made them more pliable. These days you can only get colored jet fins on Ebay and they are rarely there but you could come across some nice ones, one of these days, provided you outbid me. Go high they are worth it. Sid

WetDawg:
Split fins are not built for speed - anyone who wants to lose a bet severely come on down to Ft. Lauderdale any weekend and put your money were your mouth is. My Cressi Gara 3000 free diving fins will smoke any split fin on the planet.
Bring it - don't sing it!

WD knows!

Real dives & real current.

I've left so many jets, avantis and splits in my wash since 1979... I can't count 'em! Only long fins can keep up!

If possible, (due to shoe size compatibility), I'll swap fins with the disabled diver... then I've got the major handicap

Like WD said... "bring it - don't sing it!"

My variation, "If you haven't kicked it - zip it!"

Chad

Jarrett:
I'm new to Scuba and when I was at the LDS getting all my gear, I was recommended split fins and went with them on that recommendation. Since doing a few dives now, I keep hearing everyone say I should use non-split based on my leg strength. And I did notice having a little trouble swimming in a river current recently with my split fins. I do have considerably greater than average leg strength and used to be on the swim team when I was younger, does this mean I should be using a non-split fin? If so, what do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Kudos to the dive shop for up-selling on the fins!

You either like 'em or you don't.....be sure to try both,or buy both.

Ron

I currently own two sets of fins: Aeris splits, which I use when diving in warm waters, and Jets, which I use for most of my diving (drysuit). For me, they both have their advantages. I can say that I notice a huge difference in my mobility and speed when wearing my jets. One kick with these babies and I move!! My split fins are much lighter and and excellent when I'm doing warm water dives and I'm not trying to move as much gear through the water. But they're exhausting if I'm swiming in a strong current, as I feel like I have to kick twice as much.

http://dive.scubadiving.com/PDF/200411fins_charts.pdf

I'm sure others may poopoo ScubaDiving's methods. However what is more objective, a bunch of divers who are often VERY opinionated (forget DIR, there can be only ONE.... Fin), or a magazine who tests dozens of fins using a number of divers who benchmark the fins based on a lot of different skills, and criteria.

I always take a look at what the Scuba Rags have to say about gear as well as getting opinions from those who use the gear here.

Here is one of the better Split vs. Paddle threads:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=64345

Here is a link to another set of tests done on a number of fins:

http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/instruct/grier/fins-synopsis.html

In this case the guy doing the *testing* is just ONE guy. IMO while that makes the testing very consistant in some ways, it also narrows the testing because it's just one persons response to fins.

I have both splits (Apollo Biofins) and Paddle (Mares Quattro's). So far I like the Biofins a LOT better than the Mares. However I have NOT dove the Mares much, so I need to do more diving before making up my mind.

Hope this all helps....

ive pretty much lost faith in all magazine reviews and comparisons. far too much "paid advertising" and so on. Generally for equipment use i tend to borrow and test myself than rely on an article whos impartiality or methods are dubious at best

String:
ive pretty much lost faith in all magazine reviews and comparisons. far too much "paid advertising" and so on. Generally for equipment use i tend to borrow and test myself than rely on an article whos impartiality or methods are dubious at best

I'd love to have you read some of the reviews in ScubaDiving, and tell my why they are biased? Since their Regulator reviews are done by an indepentant agency, do you believe those to be biased as well?

I read about *lost faith* from posters all the time, but they never bother to say why they believe the review is biased based on the facts surrounding the reviews, like how they were done, by whom, what manufactures did not submit products, etc...

I'm very positive there are examples of rags that do bias their findings based on whom pays the bill. However I don't think Scubadiving is an example of that case.

Back
Top Bottom