Strong legs = non-split fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Burke:
It is possible for a strong diver to overdrive split fins. It is really noticeable if the diver needs to put on some speed.

amen to that. I recommend that all my UW hockey players use split-fins. It's like night and day. Not only are we discernibly faster, but can maneuver much quicker.

But the REAL plus is that cramping is drastically reduced. I can play an entire game without getting a single leg cramp. My other teammates report similar results. I can and have outperformed more athletic and better skilled players, so long as they didn't have splits. Simply amazing.

mtsidford:
Strong legs mean big muscles, big muscles mean big cramp potential...

I've never heard that - why would that be? I'd assume that stronger muscles would mean fewer cramps...

per the original question - I like Jets myself because of their "direct response" and control - Precision. I also found that I spend a lot less time kicking than my buddies who use split fins (about 1:3 ratio). - If you are interested here are pics and data I've collected about Jet fins http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scuba

Aloha, Tim

I have a pair of Sherwood Treks and Jet fins. The foot pocket on the Sherwooods are very comfortable, easy to get on and off. Using teh Jet Fin, I get leg cramps after awhile. Treks have power to spare when using the correct kick,

Split fins are the way to go.

IMHO

Tried splits, hate them.....I'm sticking with my old US Divers paddle fins.

I think like everything else, you have to try and buy what's right for you. There is no one type of equipment that is right for everyone.

Jarrett:
I'm new to Scuba and when I was at the LDS getting all my gear, I was recommended split fins and went with them on that recommendation. Since doing a few dives now, I keep hearing everyone say I should use non-split based on my leg strength. And I did notice having a little trouble swimming in a river current recently with my split fins. I do have considerably greater than average leg strength and used to be on the swim team when I was younger, does this mean I should be using a non-split fin? If so, what do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

I use twin-jet (splits from ScubaPro) The black ones are fairly stiff compared to the other colors of the twin jets. I have strong legs... I work out 3-4 times per week, with a 3 mile run, and do other weight training... I also snowboard a lot in the winter. I never heard anyone say that I should use a non-split fin because of my leg stregnth.
Also, I compared the Jets to the twin jets, in the water... I found that for me I could go faster easier with the twin jets. Faster is important to me, because I shoot video.

Jarrett - Which fins do you have? That could help people assess the situation better. Like if you have the yellow Scuba Pro twin jets as opposed to the black ones.

Jarrett,

Try a pair of long full-foot fins for scuba. You'll probably love freediving too!

BTW, Any of you splits or paddle finners want to lose a C-note in an underwater race?

Chad

Procella:
I tried split fins just out interest and also to see if they are something we want in our product range but after twisting my knee, I decided that they are not for me. Have a look at our fins, best of both worlds.

Any ScubaBoard members can purchase from our website using a username (SCUBABOARD) and password (MEMBER) on www.procella.co.uk. Once logged in only the true discounted prices will be shown on any of the purchase pages, basically with 25% deducted. Very simple and very safe.

Direct Account: Again any ScubaBoard members can call us direct on our sales line 0044 (0)1530 810112 quoting the username and password above and we will honour the 25% discount.

Any members can order as much or as little as they wish and orders over £150 NETT are delivered free.

USERNAME: SCUBABOARD
PASSWORD: MEMBER

Wow... like do you ever post anything but an advertisement for your store?

Working as an Instructor on a liveaboard I had the opportunity to see every make and model of fin come through. They are often a source of lively daily debate.

Here are some hard facts:

1) No one fin is right for everyone
2) What is right for your buddy may feel horrible to you
3) Split fins are sold to people who like to relax when they dive and not work hard (as everyone should).
4) Split fins, by design, offer much less resistance than longer stiffer fins - anyone who is used to applying serious power while swimming will feel like they have a wet noodle strapped to their foot with the split fins.
5) Split fins are not built for speed - anyone who wants to lose a bet severely come on down to Ft. Lauderdale any weekend and put your money were your mouth is. My Cressi Gara 3000 free diving fins will smoke any split fin on the planet. :11:

Bring it - don't sing it. :10:

With my Apollos, I outdistance anyone I've ever dove with who has paddle fins on surface swims. And I don't break a sweat while they huff and puff.

I honestly feel like you get more out of splits than paddle fins. Just because they don't feel as resistive isn't a bad thing. If you have more leg strength, you'll get more out of a split fin.

What people are telling you about splits being wrong since you have strong legs makes absolutely no sense. With any fin, some of the work you put in propels you, and some of it is lost due to inefficiency. With split fins more goes into propulsion and less is lost than with paddle fins. That's what the science says, and that's certainly what I have seen with Apollo Bio Fins. So, if you have more leg strength, a split is still better. If you have less leg strength it's better. No matter what you put in, a greater percentage of that work pushes you forward, so, really, leg strength doesn't enter into the picture.

Make sure you try doing small flutter kicks. Lots of rapid little kicks. It's very energy efficient and you'll really move.

As far as having trouble in a current...that's because it'a a current. It's an annoying misconception that is pervasive here that "splits don't work in current". You'll be able to get a certain amount of forward motion out of any fin...in my experience, you get more forward motion out of splits. So, you'll do better in current with splits. The type of fin really doesn't enter into the picture. If you get more thrust out of your fins than the speed of the current, then you'll move forward...if not, then not. Simple really, though people love to complicate it.

Basically, use whatever works for you...but because you have lots of strength in your legs, and paddle fins feel like more work (they are), doesn't mean you're getting more out of them. The splits are still more efficient.

Gregg

Humu, silvertip, I agree with ya'll. I challenge anybody to show a valid test where the "too soft" splits can be outspeeded or outmaneuvered by another, stiffer set of paddle type open heel fins. Chad, I hear what you say but I have yet to see any data which show long fins are better. True, a full foot fin is naturally faster than an open heel. This may seem odd, but I have reviewed numerous tests by Scubalab and independent tester, Dr Jim Grier, which offer hard proof. No argument with you sofar but I do challenge you to show some test results where a long fin, closed heel, is faster than an Oceanic Caribe, Aeris Velocity or Mares Plana Avanti Tre. The Scubalab test results of the Sporasub Variant Master (long fin) were pathetic, bottom of the pile when compared to those shorter, flexible full foots. I would certainly be interested in any other tests as I can't find any at this time. PS: I have used long fins for 20 years, but only for freediving. I'm thinking of moving away from them altogether.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom