Question Shopping for new fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had great success using OMS Slipstream fins. They've got the classic Jetfin profile and propulsion characteristics, but they're only slightly negatively buoyant.
I second the Slipstreams, also about 2/3 the price of Jetfins as well.

Thank you for all of the tips! This past weekend I was trying my new Faber Steel HP100 tanks. I only dive a single tank with a DiveRite steel backplate and wing . With the new tanks and less lead weight, my trim was already improved. But, I'm still not perfectly dialed in. It's best to make incremental changes, so I'm going to use my RK3 fins again this coming weekend (Lake Wazee, WI). I only ever have enough air in my drysuit to offset the discomfort of any squeeze. I don't use my drysuit for buoyancy control. I will try to reposition the air bubble in my drysuit in an effort to improve my trim. I'm also going to reposition my tank so it rides a little higher on my back. This is why I like scuba diving: Always learning, always tweaking, always improving!
I had the exact same issue you did with my RK3 HD fins initially, especially when I was using worthington tanks and was diving overweighted. I was way overcorrecting by pushing the tank higher up in the cam bands, and ended up switching from HD to non-HD RK3. While it brought my trim closer to under control, the short fins in a floppier material weren't great for my kicks. Over the course of the summer, I have switched to faber hp100 tanks, and also discovered just how overweighted I was diving. Dropping some extra lead, I'm back to negative hollis or rk3hd fins and trim is much better. The Hollis fins I tried are even heavier, and I can offset that by just putting an extra puff of air into the drysuit and shaking just a little into each leg, but don't find that necessary or helpful with the RK3 HD fins which are slightly less negative.

Back
Top Bottom