Strange Wind

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My monthly trip to the Villa Aldora began Saturday the 15th. When I got here the port was closed from Chankanaub south due to strong SE winds. That in itself is an oddity but remained so yesterday. It has abated somewhat today the 17th, with everything from Palancar south closed. This situation looks to continue all week, and the divers here will likely miss most of their favorite sites…this is terrible! Thank goodness the north is open.

Out of 32 years here I don't ever recall such, an occurrence, and other long timers agree as well.

Dave Dillehay
VILLA ALDORA

That's crazy. Anyone here with enough meteorological knowledge to offer an explanation (apart from the obvious climate change)?

The last time I was on Cozumel was in late April of last year. Strong SE winds closed the southern reefs for a few days then as well. This time it may be due in part to the disturbance near Campeche.

I will be getting there tomorrow for a two week stay, so I shall see what I shall see.

Here is your culprit. Note the low forming in the Bay of Campeche is causing the southerly winds over Cozumel. Remember it is hurricane season. Any tropical system, even when just forming, can cause a disruption in "typical" wind flow patterns.

1718646039506.png

Here is your culprit. Note the low forming in the Bay of Campeche is causing the southerly winds over Cozumel. Remember it is hurricane season. Any tropical system, even when just forming, can cause a disruption in "typical" wind flow patterns.

View attachment 846406
Port was completely closed today at 2PM. Good luck Gordon!

Dave Dillehay

Seems as if it has been a very windy year. Back in late March, the port closed multiple times and the southern sites were closed for several days in a row. After we left, the wind and closures continued. Strong winds in this week's forecast, but at least not from the north.

1718663979389.png

Port closed at 8PM last night

SECRETARY OF THE NAVY

UNDERSECRETARY OF THE NAVY​

PORT CAPTAINCIES AND MARITIME AFFAIRS UNIT DEPUTY GENERAL DIRECTORATE OF PORT CAPTAINCIES​

MARITIME SAFETY DIRECTORATE

REPORT OF LOCAL WEATHER CONDITIONS AND OPERATIONAL STATUS OF THE PORT

Date: 17/JUNE/2024 Time: 20:00 Hrs. Conditions of the Port Captaincy of: Cozumel, Quintana Roo.​

HOUR
STATE
OPERATIONAL OF
PORT (OPEN OR CLOSED)
PRESSURE
ATMOSPHERIC
(hPa)
SKY
TEMP
(°C)
WIND
SURF
(FT)
HUMIDITY
RELATIVE

(%)
ADDRESS
INTENSITY (KNOTS)
GUSTS (KNOTS)
20:00
Emb.​
Greater than
500 UAB
Open
1002​
Cloudy​
29°​
This-
Southeast​
18​
25​
2 to 4​
86%​
Emb.​
Less than 500 UAB​
Closed
NOTE: The port continues to be closed for vessels under 15 meters in length and suspension of all kinds of recreational aquatic activity throughout the jurisdiction due to the storm forecast that foresees "increased rain, strong winds and high waves and reduced visibility", so they must take the precautions and safety measures relevant to navigation by the entire maritime community, taking extreme precautions and being attentive to the warnings issued by this Port Captaincy.

Authorizing navigation only for Cargo and Passenger vessels. Therefore, they must take all the precautions and safety measures relevant to navigation by the entire maritime community.

Name of the person who reported to the Port Captaincy: C. ADIEL POOT

No. Telephone: 987 87 20075 and 987 86 91148

Email: cozumel.depresma@semar.gob.mx

NOTE:
This form is sent digitally to contribute to ecology and avoid the use of paper.

Attachments

• 17-06-24_PM[1].pdf
    95.4 KB · Views: 15
Looking a bit breezy for awile, SSE moving to SE but pretty brisk. Even though most dive sites are on the leeward side I suspect it is still pretty rough.

KPH
1718720805878.png

MPH
1718721272515.png

Looking a bit breezy for awile, SSE moving to SE but pretty brisk. Even though most dive sites are on the leeward side I suspect it is still pretty rough.

KPH
View attachment 846541

MPH
View attachment 846542

After PTC1 becomes Alberto they are forecasting another tropical disturbance to spin up in pretty much the exact same spot next week.

Back
Top Bottom