Stories behind ICONS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what, may I ask, is wrong about using your photo ?!?!?!?!?!?

Mine comes from a cartoon series from the 50's called "Herman and Catnip", a cat and mouse combo way before Tom and Jerry. In the early days of Scuba Board you could only choose from a select few standard ones so I choose the gray mouse since it was close to the "Herman" mouse. I have been on this board since it's beginning so it just doesn't seem right to change.

Buddy of mine took a photo of me underwater that managed not to look like everyone else's underwater photos.. so.. icon!

Mine's a tip 'o the cap to my deceased father, who always had a "thing" for the Pink Panther. Puting a "smilie" after my name, which I do EVERYWHERE, is also in memory of my maternal grandfather, who fell in love with those big yellow smilie faces that became popular in the early 70's - WAY before Walmart adopted / co-opted them.

Scuba-sass :)

I like the cutesy stuff so I selected Diddline. There is a cartoonist in Germany that created Diddl mouse (at one point he was my icon). It became so popular that the stores had a hard time keeping up with the demand of Diddl items (me included as I had a store while living in Germany). After starting with the one mouse, which evolved quite a bit over time, it became a big family of different figures. For the wedding I sewed a banner where Diddl is hugging a seahorse...

Mine is a Cessna Cardinal RG (Retractable Gear). My wife and I own one. The prettiest airplane Cessna ever built.

What about the 310???

Mine's the "Grateful Diver" flag, combining the dive flag with the lightning bolt from the cover of the Grateful Dead album "Steal Your Face."

It's also bumper stickered on my car.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom