Question storage time for ready to dive CCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phgachoud

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey folks, just got my brand new JJ-CCR and after preparing it to dive and ready, I was wondering how much time I can let it ready for dive without creating potential issues, and back from a dive not spending all the scrubber and gases apart from rincing it outside and the loop should I disassemble it completely rince and reassemble it between a few days dives, and if not how many days would you advise?
I know brand new sofnolime 797 is advised but costs here about 50 box a load so I take it 2 times in the water till I run out of the 200min runtime.

Between the dives: disassemble, rinse, and dry.

Your sorb cassette can be in the open for about 28 days at room temperature / moderate humidity before sorb starts losing its potency. Most people will put cassettes in plastic bags.

Good read about this topic: Storage of partly used closed-circuit rebreather carbon dioxide absorbent canisters

I try to not let it sit used open for longer than 7 - 10 days.
Within this short times, I do not notice any reduction of performance, I even don’t keep the scrubber in a sealed bag.
But it also depends on the upcoming dives if I change the scrubber or not.

Before diving:
No clue? Days? If the unit is assembled and DSV closed, nothing will happen. If you keep it assembled for weeks, you might start thinking about some of the o-rings (in the head) getting squished? You might want to re-run part of your checklist to make sure that batteries and so on are still OK?

Clean-up:

Depends on the weather. Ideally, you always take 2 litre bottle with you to do a quick clean after a dive - rinse any lung butter out of your loop and exhale counterlung. The unit will take a week or two of diving in colder climate with just quick cleaning until your loop starts to develop a bit of a taste. Then it's time to disassemble, rinse and disinfect. I generally rinse the loop and both counterlungs after each weekend of diving but that's mainly my storage limitation.

If you dive in hotter climate - be more diligent about rinsing.

Always take your head out to dry the cells.

Scrubber duration:

Official scrubber duration is about 180 minutes. Unofficially - how lucky do you feel? The main problem is moisture loss - so it might be a good idea to wrap the packed scrubber in a plastic bag between dives if it's longer than overnight.

It's common to pack the scrubber once for a weekend of diving for a total duration of 3-4.5 hours, either as four shorter dives or perhaps two longer deco dives. I've dived a single scrubber for 6 hours in a cold local quarry but not very deep and without high workloads, and wouldn't go past 4 hours total on any bigger dives.

A good starting point in terms of scrubber duration is his article: The Secrets of Scrubbers

You could also read the JJ CE report. It's interesting to check the test parameters - the majority of the estimated 180 minutes duration have not been spent at depth...

Keep in mind that you can overbreathe even a fresh scrubber if you work hard(er) at depth. I wouldn't want to be working hard when the scrubber is mostly spent and the active zone is at the every end.

Word of god - JJ manual:
Running time: 180 min with dive profile (40 m), 180 min with dive profile (100 m)
Dive profile: 40 min at 40 m, 5 min at 15 m, 9 m (40 m) for the remaining time
Dive profile: 10 min at 100 m, 1 min at 39 m, 1 min (100 m) at 36 m, 2 min at 33 m, 2 min at 30 m, 2 min at 27 m, 3 min at 24 m, 4 min at 21 m, 4 min at 18 m, 6 min at 15m, 7 min at 12 m, 10 min at 9 m, 6 m for the remaining time

Test parameter: 40l/min air, 1.6l/min CO2,
4°C water temperature
Used diluent: 40 m - Air
100 m - Trimix 11/65

Unless you are using it within a couple days I disassemble, rinse (or sterilize) and dry the head and loop. The scrubber gets a time/date label and goes in a plastic bag.

If I setup my CCR and dive one hour, I will often leave it for a few weeks before doing an additional dive or two an another day. I always rinse the loop and spray in some steramine, and leave that to dry. The head is opened so the cells can dry. I only need to do basic predive checks before heading out again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom