Sting Ray City guaranteed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm going to the Caymans 3/25 - 4/3 but have not chosen accommodations/dive ops yet. The main reason for staying on Grand Cayman a few days (before spending most of the trip on Little Cayman) is to dive Sting Ray City. However, the folks at Sunset House said they cannot guarantee a dive there because of the water conditions that time of year.

My question is: should I stay somewhere closer to Sting Ray City (north side of the island) in order to increase my chances of diving Sting Ray City?

I would not worry about it, there are ALWAYS stingrays at stingray city, i have been there on countless occasions and have never not had any show up. Despte Ivan they have remained on the sandbank, and i think one or two operators have been out there to feed them just to keep them "sweet."

I would just organize a trip when you get here, there are numerous operators going out there, not too sure why you have been told it is weather dependant because if you have your boat moored in Harbour House Marina (or any of the other canals in North Sound for that matter,) as Sunset usually has, the whole of the north sound is protected by a reef (north reef / wall,) which stops the bulk of the swells getting through. So it is just a matter of cruising out to the site, you never have to leave the shelter of North Sound. anyway just organize it when you get here like i said, there are heaps of operators going out there every day.

Barry G. Goode:
I'm going to the Caymans 3/25 - 4/3 but have not chosen accommodations/dive ops yet. The main reason for staying on Grand Cayman a few days (before spending most of the trip on Little Cayman) is to dive Sting Ray City. However, the folks at Sunset House said they cannot guarantee a dive there because of the water conditions that time of year.

My question is: should I stay somewhere closer to Sting Ray City (north side of the island) in order to increase my chances of diving Sting Ray City?

Staying on the North side will severely limit your options for going to Stingray City. You wouldn't think so but it is not actually closer, the closest point to leave from is the Cayman Islands Yacht club which is on the opposite side of 7-Mile Beach just up from the Marriott Courtyard. Also the only operations that go to Stingray city from the Northside are Red Sail Sports, who leave from Rum Point on occasion, and Ocean Frontiers, who only go once a week.

It is very unusual at that time of year for Stingray city trips to be blown out by the weather and there are many operators who go from the West side of the island (ie Yacht Club area) on a daily basis so don't worry, you'll get your trip!!

Let me know if you need any more info.

CJ

Back
Top Bottom