Steel vs. Alum (see txt)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few thoughts...

One thing to be careful about -- weight on dry land vs. buoyancy. AL tanks weigh more on dry land than steels (assuming same volume), but are actually less negatively buoyant in the water than steels.....

A brief list comparing the three main tank types --

HP Steel Tanks:
- Smaller in size, weigh less, and have more negative bouyancy than an Aluminum tank of the same capacity. Steel is stronger than AL -- therefore you use less metal and can pump the tank up to greater pressures, resulting in more volume and less weight
- Some shops/resorts can't fill HP tanks to capacity, negating the lower "weight per volume" advantage.
- With most HP tanks, you need to use a DIN fitting on your reg.
- Steels can rust
- HPs are generally lighter and smaller than LP tanks holding the same gas volume

LP Steel Tanks:
- Heavier and physically larger than HPs
- Generally less negative bouyancy than HP; more than AL
- Lower pressure rating = easier to get complete fill
- Yoke or DIN
- Steels can rust

Aluminum Tanks:
- AL -- generally heavier than steels (although LP and AL are somewhat close)
- Neutral bouyancy when full; positive when empty
- Yoke or DIN
- Cheapest tanks (much cheaper than steels of equal volume)
- AL only avail. in 80CF or smaller these days -- if you want more capacity in a single tank, need to use steel

And regarding the "don't use steel with a wetsuit" comment.....as with anything else, I think it depends. The issue here is that steel tanks are negatively buoyant (although some LP steels are close to neutral when empty). As mentioned above, wetsuits lose buoyancy as you go deeper. If you don't have any ditchable weight and are diving wet and steels (no ditchable weight -- more likely in a double tank scenario), you will have to work pretty hard to swim up from depth......and if you have a BC failure -- could be a problem. I dive single steels with a wetsuit and don't view this as a big issue -- of course, I still have a bunch of ditchable weight. My steel tank also represents a relatively small precentage of the "weight" I carry. For a smaller human.....this might be an issue. Also an issue = Doubles (again -- too much "weight tied up in not-easily-ditchable tanks).

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for the excellent info.

Thanks also for clearing up the surface wieght vs. Bouyancy issue, large_diver....

I'll probably jump on these tanks, provided that they pass vis & hydro...

turner,
In my area, we are most likely looking at a volunteer operation, at least in the beginning.

OK,I'm diving wet at 100' with a 7 mil suit .My bc fails some how towards the end of my dive and due to suit compression I'm too negative to surface.I drop my weght belt,as I swim to the surface,my suit decompresses more and more as I get closer to the surface.Next thing you know I'm rising at a dangerous rate.How do I prevent this from happening or are we assuming bent is better than drowned.I was doing everything right out of this thread.

There's probably a better answer, but I thought of two options, both require good pre-planning:

1. grab your ascent/decent line... even if there is only moderate wieght at the bottom,it should help.

2. I was recently taught in AOW that it might be a good idea to place clip-on wieghts at the 15' safety stop with an extra tank/reg to help in just such a situation.

I dive my PST HP100s almost exclusively with a wetsuit, but they aren't doubled either. If I'm not diving them wet then I'm diving them in skin. But I can also swim one of them up from the bottom without any assistance from my BC. But I also almost always carry a lift bag and/or a safety sausage which could provide extra lift if I were to need it in case of BC failure. I think DIR "Steels and wetsuits don't mix" rule is more aimed at divers who are diving doubles. That being said, some of the Faber steels are pretty negative and could also present problems even as singles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom