Steel Tanks...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thought this was interesting about PST from 3 yrs ago. no wonder the economy is in trouble, especially manufacturing... CONDOS ? CONDOS ! (Housing and retail development) at least they didn't go out of business

They also manufacture aviation oxygen tanks, high pressure cylinders, etc everything except scuba tanks. I wonder if they are shipping anything now?
There used to be a video on you tube for how these tanks are made, they start with a flat disk and then deep drawn through speciallized draw dies I suppose the process is similar for all of their high pressure cyls.

Investors to Buy Tank-Maker; Group to Move Pressed Steel to Smaller Location

Posted on: Saturday, 25 March 2006, 15:00 CST

By TOM DAYKIN

West Allis manufacturer Pressed Steel Tank Co., which must relocate to allow a large development to proceed, is being sold to a new investors group led by the company's CEO and will eventually move to a smaller building, an attorney for the new owner said Friday.

PST Cylinders LLC, led by Robert Darling, Pressed Steel's chief executive, has agreed to acquire most of the company's assets and plans to move them to another site, said Timothy Nixon, attorney for PST Cylinders.

Nixon said PST Cylinders agreed to pay $700,000 for the assets of financially troubled Pressed Steel, which makes compressed natural gas tanks. That money, along with $400,000 owed to Pressed Steel by its customers, will be distributed by a court-appointed receiver to the company's creditors, Nixon said.

PST Cylinders, which is working with a South Korean investor, plans to move Pressed Steel's equipment and inventory from 1445 S. 66th St. to a much smaller building in southeastern Wisconsin, Nixon said. He said PST Cylinders would be a smaller, more specialized operation than Pressed Steel.

Nixon said several locations are being considered for PST Cylinders but declined to elaborate. He said he didn't know when the move would occur.

Pressed Steel had only about 20 employees when it ceased operations last week, Nixon said. That's down from more than 100 employees more than a year ago. He said PST Cylinders plans to hire back some of Pressed Steel's workers.

The company needs to relocate because the City of West Allis bought Pressed Steel's building in December 2004. The structure will be razed to make way for a $60 million housing and retail development.

The Pressed Steel site is part of 17 acres where Brookfield- based Toldt Development Inc. plans to build 658 apartments, 21 condos and 48,000 square feet of commercial space over five years. The development will be west of S. 65th St. between W. Greenfield Ave. and W. Mitchell St.

Toldt plans to begin the development's first phase in April, said John Stibal, West Allis' director of development. He said Toldt can do its initial construction on areas other than the Pressed Steel location.

The receivership proceeding for Pressed Steel was filed Feb. 8 in Milwaukee County Circuit Court.

The proceeding is similar to a federal bankruptcy proceeding and lets a company get protection from its creditors while it negotiates with prospective buyers.

Court documents filed in connection with the receivership proceeding say Pressed Steel owed $1.91 million to various trade creditors, as well as $145,000 to lender Prairie Business Credit Inc.

Now I see how you feel about my tanks! LOL!

Your tanks (at least the ones I saw) are high pressure and only 7.25" in diameter. The LP tanks are 8". That is much wider than yours!
The only bad part is your tanks will ONLY accept DIN. (I have too many steel tanks as it is)

If you have any problems with your tanks fitting tank racks is because of the BOOT. I know of a few dive boats tank racks that are made form PVC pipe and they will not allow a normal tank boot into them, HP steel or Alum.

Bill, you are correct. Just need to put mine in the garage sale next month along with the other extraneous stuff we don't use anymore. (4 underwater film cameras!)

I have a small LDS. I have a customer that brought in 8 Pressed Steel Tanks, 4 HP80's and
4 HP100's for their first hydro test after manufacturing. 2 of the 100's and 1 of the 80's did not pass. The other 5 barely passed. Has anyone else heard of this problem? The hydro station was so shocked they stopped testing to recalibrate/check their equipment, then retested. The press date on these tanks ranged from 2/04 to 6/04. I own several HP80's personally, I am leary of their safety as well. They have yet to come due for their hydro. I know that this time frame was around when PST was in their 'transition' to their new manufacturing plant; were corners being cut with quality? I thought maybe it could be treatment of the tanks, but the burst disks should have released pressure before the tanks were stretched to the damage point.

Even FAT tanks need someone to love them!
No, there is nothing wrong with FAT tanks. They are just UGLY! IMHO.

I am planning on buying hp80 steel. I do agree they are ugly but I need something that I can hopefully carry without assistant. I don't know if you remember helping me last year at Spanish Rocks. I know buddy's need to help each other but I want to be able to carry my own equipment. Even though my r/a condition makes it very painful most of the time.

HP 80s are not fat. HP tanks are about the same diameter as an AL80, 7.25in.
The fat tanks are the low pressure tanks, and those tanks larger than 120cf.

I have a small LDS. I have a customer that brought in 8 Pressed Steel Tanks, 4 HP80's and
4 HP100's for their first hydro test after manufacturing. 2 of the 100's and 1 of the 80's did not pass. The other 5 barely passed. Has anyone else heard of this problem? The hydro station was so shocked they stopped testing to recalibrate/check their equipment, then retested. The press date on these tanks ranged from 2/04 to 6/04. I own several HP80's personally, I am leary of their safety as well. They have yet to come due for their hydro. I know that this time frame was around when PST was in their 'transition' to their new manufacturing plant; were corners being cut with quality? I thought maybe it could be treatment of the tanks, but the burst disks should have released pressure before the tanks were stretched to the damage point.

The tanks Hydro failure had nothing to do with the burst disks not working properly. The "E" series PST steel tanks have a special protocol for Hydro testing. If this procedure isn't followed on the "E" series tanks, it voids the warrenty and in all probability, the tanks will fail Hydro. BTW, PST to my knowledge hasn't made tanks in two or three years and it looks as if they never will. There is an excellent thread on The Deco Stop detailing PST "E" series Hydro issues. I copied and pasted the PST service bulletin for the pre Hydro stretching procedure. :palmtree: Bob

T a n k C o . , I n c .
1445 South 66th St.
Milwaukee WI 53214
Ph: (414) 476-0500, Fax: (414) 476-9881
www.pstscuba.com
PST Technical Bulletin D100-E
Procedure for Hydrostatic Retesting of Hot Dip Galvanized Scuba Cylinder Revised 1/01/03
Steel scuba cylinders manufactured by PST must be re-inspected and retested at least every five years in accordance with the Code of Federal regulations
Title 49 CFR 173.34 (US) or CSA B339 (Canada).
This bulletin describes procedures that must be performed prior to retesting each cylinder. The cylinder must be prepared and test system checked in order
to obtain accurate results in the hydrostatic expansion retest for galvanized steel cylinders. All PST scuba cylinders made starting in 1952 are protected
from corrosion by a hot dip galvanized coating. This hot dip galvanized coating may affect the readings from the hydrostatic test, therefore failure to
prepare the cylinder and perform the test system check in accordance with this procedure may result in rejection of a perfectly acceptable cylinder.
Cylinder Preparation Procedure:
1. Remove the plastic boot.
2. Remove any crusty white corrosion deposits. Crusty deposits are most likely to form inside the removable plastic boot if the owner has not
routinely rinsed saltwater residue from this area.
3. Do not use aggressive acidic or caustic metal cleaners on the galvanized surface. The mottled gray-white appearance of used galvanized
cylinders is normal.
Test System Check Procedure :
1. Visually inspect the cylinder, fill it with water and place in the water jacket, as in your normal practice for any testing.
2. Zero the burette or expansion measuring system and pressurize the cylinder to 85% to 90% of the prescribed test pressure. Warning: DO NOT
EXCEED 90% [49 CFR 173.34(e)(4)(v)] of test pressure.
3. Hold the pressure and determine that the system is free of leaks.
4. Release the pressure to zero.
5. Zero the burette if necessary.
6. Proceed to retest the cylinder at the required test pressure.
7. Repeat this procedure with each hot dip galvanized cylinder to be tested.
This test system check procedure is specifically authorized under the provisions of 49 CFR 173.34 (e)(4)(v) and CGA C-1, Methods for
Hydrostatic Retesting, 1.4.
This procedure is necessary to obtain accurate test results. The provision of the PST Warranty therefore requires that the cylinders are prepared for
test and the system check is performed in accordance with these procedures. If these procedures are not followed in the retesting of hot dip
galvanized cylinders, the owner should be given prior notice by the retester that the warranty may be invalidated by the retester.
Related test bulletin PST Bulletin D101-E, Retesting DOT-E9791 or TC-SU 4349 Advanced Technology Cylinders. PST high-pressure (3442-psi)
cylinders have a special test requirement based on their design and the DOT/TC requirements. This bulletin provides the necessary information.
Following this procedure will assure an accurate retest for PST scuba cylinders. If you experience any difficulty in obtaining acceptable readings,
please contact PST customer service at 414-476-0500.
PST TECHNICAL BULLETIN D101-E
Retesting DOT-E9791 or TC-SU4349-230 Advanced Technology Cylinders. Revised 01/01

Last edited:
Bill, you are correct. Just need to put mine in the garage sale next month along with the other extraneous stuff we don't use anymore. (4 underwater film cameras!)
Sent me a pm with info on your cameras. Maybe I can take one of your hand if it's mine budjet...:blinking:

thanks Bob, I'll give this info to the hydro station that tested the tanks..unfortunately they stamped out the numbers on the tank to be able to put them back into use in the event of a mis-fail. The station may not be aware, although I don't know how, of the pre-stretching procedure.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom