Steel Tanks...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

r1_addict

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So I am now in equipment acquisition mode. I have decided on steel tanks and have been looking around. I have been warned to stay away from "Pressed Steel" and look for Worthington or Faber.

What is so bad about the Pressed Steel tanks?

I have 2 PST E7 120's and love them. I have had no problems and have been diving one for 3 years and the other for 4 years. Someday I may have problems but am going to enjoy every breath until that time. Besides not being quite as good as Worthington or Faber (very subjective), why were specifically told to stay away from PST?

I have been interested in PST tanks for about 18 months now and when I have the need and money would like to buy a pair.
All of my information comes second hand
From dive shop owners I have asked, the only bad thing I have ever heard about them is they are next to impossible to get, except used.
Other things:
They relocated from their original plant in Milwaukee when they were what amounts to being kicked out of their plant. At that time they were manufacturing scuba cylinders using deep draw hydraulic presses, and had been the pioneers in the high pressure (3442 psi)market The were the ones who provided samples to DOT to get them on the market. It was their design and development. Their only cylinder which was unavailable was the 130cf which required a heavier press.
Since relocating their plant and reorganizing (similar name, new company) they have been concentrating on their other products and scuba tanks have taken a back seat.
A couple of years ago, I asked a LDS about ordering a tank and they said they were not available because of material shortages and mumbled something about "the damn war" I didn't believe it. We have gotten in bad shape if we can't get moly steel.
Another shop told me PST was at DEMA two years ago and had plans to get back into the scuba market. He also said they were not at last year's DEMA show.

The E series (some say experimental, others exempt) available today were copied (reverse engineered) from PST scuba tanks. They had to go through the same destruct testing.
some of the differences in PST are they are hot dipped galvanized,which i think is better than paint or electoplated They did not phosphate the inside as Faber does, which is better is debatable.
I hope PST comes back. I like them because they had(have) a good product, were the pioneers in high pressure tanks, and best of all are an American company.

Thank you for the valued information. As to why I was told to stay away. I think that is the question I am looking to get answered. My buddy simply said "stay far away from them". He owns a shop, so he must have a reason....

OK then. Well he says stay away and I will recommend them based on first hand knowledge. Either way, I think they are great and the 3442 psi operating pressure is great.

Are looking for HP or LP?
Posted via Mobile Device

As to why you were told to stay away from them, I can only speculate

I cannot see that it is because of quality. They have to be manufactured under certain codes with a generous safety factor. and have to go through visuals and hydro. I have never heard of anyone having problems with PST cylinders

There were times when I saw peoples eyes roll just upon the mention of Pressed Steel.
For a time, dive shop owners were getting beat up by customers because after waiting six months after being ordered - still no tanks. PST started getting a bad reputation for customer service. If I was put in that position, I would probably start selling Worthington, and be down on PST

I think it is a mute point, I don't see where you can buy them anyway.

If anyone knows that they are available, please let us know

I would be tickled if someone from PST could gives us some information, and if there are plans to start shipping

good information I just bought two steel E-100's used

Also, if I remember correctly, PST specifies some sort of pre stretching procedures for hydro. If the facility does not perform these procedures the tanks may not pass.

PST was a tank manufacturer, not a method. Current PST is not actually producing tanks (but a few "old" production tanks are still available on the market as with new certs.

Faber and Worthington are the two primary OEM's today. Worthington produces the the Tanks for XS Scuba and at one time Faber produced for OMS (don't know if that applies now).

There have been some issues with people getting older PST Hydro'd but it is difficult to tell if that is due to hard use, or manufacturing issues.

IDK, but Worthington is a pressed steel cyliner. BTW Worthington is the best you will find.
Be prepared to part with $350.00 each cylinder for new tanks. If you are very lucky and very fast you can snatch them up used for a little less but they hold their value quite well.

Check out this link:
How Steel Scuba Cylinders Are Made

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom