Steel tank questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it possible to run doubles with the j valves or do the valves get replaced buy the manifold? I believe I have seen both ways.
If you look at Captain's picture above, he has a manifolded set with a J valve manifold. Most manifolds do not have a J valve on them. You could also use a cheater bar manifold, and have whatever is on the individual tanks.

If you look at Captain's picture above, he has a manifolded set with a J valve manifold. Most manifolds do not have a J valve on them. You could also use a cheater bar manifold, and have whatever is on the individual tanks.
I’m trying to figure this doubles thing out as far as the manifolds go. Did Captains setup replace both valves of do you modify your existing j valves with the manifold? Hopefully that makes sense. I have been looking at manifolds but have no idea what to purchase.

I’m trying to figure this doubles thing out as far as the manifolds go. Did Captains setup replace both valves of do you modify your existing j valves with the manifold? Hopefully that makes sense. I have been looking at manifolds but have no idea what to purchase.
Captain's setup does replace both valves. I'm not a doubles guy, but a bit of an overall gear nerd.... so take my info for what it's worth! Manifolds typically replace the singles valves on tanks, with 2 exeptions I know of. 1) modern modular valve/manifolds (left and right valve, which can take a center section or plugs). 2) Cheater bars used to attach 2 single tanks (basically a pipe with a yoke at each end and an outlet [or post] to accept a yoke in the center).
What you want depends on what your goals are. I am tempted to buy a cheater bar at some point, just to be able to play with doubles and break them back down easy. Modern manifolds have a post (outlet) at each tank, and are meant to run 2 1st stages (great for modern tech, not so good for double hose). Older manifolds are along the lines of Captain's, just one knob and a center outlet with or without J valve. Center outlet is needed for good double hose positioning.
Respectfully,
James

That manifold is purpose built as a manifold with no redundancy. The manifold in the picture appears to have only a single on/off knob in the center of the manifold.It is basically taking the place of a large single tank.

Some new valves can be plugged to be used as a single or connected to a cross bar for a doubles set. Each tank will have an on/off valve so that they can be isolated.

Check this link out. You'll see that you can buy a right or left hand valve with plugs and run them as singles. You can also buy the cross bar for doubling them up.
Thermo Nitrox Ready Valves | Dive Gear Express®

Just get yourself a modern manifold.
DGX Premium Dual-Outlet Manifold w/Isolator | Dive Gear Express®

Unless you are specifically into the vintage stuff. Because you are talking about stripping and refinishing these tanks, and you have no vintage bands or plate, I am guessing a 30+ yo J valve manifold is not what you desire.

Just get yourself a modern manifold.
DGX Premium Dual-Outlet Manifold w/Isolator | Dive Gear Express®

Unless you are specifically into the vintage stuff. Because you are talking about stripping and refinishing these tanks, and you have no vintage bands or plate, I am guessing a 30+ yo J valve manifold is not what you desire.

May plan is to run doubles for a double hose reg I’m in the process of rebuilding. I would need something where the reg could mount between the two k valves in the center.

That manifold is purpose built as a manifold with no redundancy. The manifold in the picture appears to have only a single on/off knob in the center of the manifold.It is basically taking the place of a large single tank.

Some new valves can be plugged to be used as a single or connected to a cross bar for a doubles set. Each tank will have an on/off valve so that they can be isolated.

Check this link out. You'll see that you can buy a right or left hand valve with plugs and run them as singles. You can also buy the cross bar for doubling them up.
Thermo Nitrox Ready Valves | Dive Gear Express®
Thanks for the link. I do t think that will work for my application as I’m wanting to run the doubles setup with a double hose reg. Set.

Back
Top Bottom