Steel tank questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigRed96

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All, I have a handful of steel tanks I’m trying to identify. From what I gathered so far, they are PST brand and rated to 2250 + 10%. My question is how do I determine the tanks volume? Also, are these tanks worth trying to hydro and vis? I am getting into vintage diving equipment and would be more than happy to dive them.

A few pictures would help. Show the tank markings and the tanks themselves.
Looking forward to helping you out.

Hi All, I have a handful of steel tanks I’m trying to identify. From what I gathered so far, they are PST brand and rated to 2250 + 10%. My question is how do I determine the tanks volume? Also, are these tanks worth trying to hydro and vis? I am getting into vintage diving equipment and would be more than happy to dive them.
Sound like 72 cu, if into vintage will be ok good tanks, still have and use a couple we have here

Post pics and list the all info stamped on the neck. A pic of the original hydro can be helpful determining the brand. I'm wild @$$ guessing lp72 steels based on the pressure.

As others said, pictures of neck stampings... also dimensions please! They are most likely 72s... that's what I use, some of them predating DOT (have ICC stamps instead!). If only filled to 2250, they are only 65 cf... I usually run mine at 2800 (just over 80 cf). I personally love their buoyancy characteristics.
Or you can decide that old stuff like that is horribly dangerous and give them to me for proper disposal! lol
Respectfully,
James

As others said, pictures of neck stampings... also dimensions please! They are most likely 72s... that's what I use, some of them predating DOT (have ICC stamps instead!). If only filled to 2250, they are only 65 cf... I usually run mine at 2800 (just over 80 cf). I personally love their buoyancy characteristics.
Or you can decide that old stuff like that is horribly dangerous and give them to me for proper disposal! lol
Respectfully,
James
Might as well give all my other vintages regs and gear I have collected as well. Hell, I’ll even pay the shipping!

0C00F5F9-5A42-40E8-A26C-440AA22BCCEA.jpeg
EEE74B68-C3C2-421D-8CFC-BE2329F99494.jpeg
B7015E8F-CCD3-4B63-993C-343A6124E4B5.jpeg

All appear to be PST 72's. Top 2 sold by Us Divers. L surrounded by a C is Cochran Labs who did PST original hydros. The two yellow one are vinyl coated and may or may not the epoxy lined.
There can be issues with rust under the vinyl coating and under the epoxy lining. Neither is an automatic call for rejection. The vinyl can be removed and then painted with Galvilite galvanize rich paint. If the epoxy lining shows no blistering from underlying rust it is good to go. It can also be tumbled off but takes a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom