Steel tank ops - a comparison between Living Underwater and Aldora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think your aldora experience might have been different if you:

Were not there at a very busy time when others couldn't even get you on a boat.
Booked well in advance.
Had at least two divers in your group.
Booked all dive days for the week.
Nitrox for all dives.
Dove with them before.
Requested specific guides that you like.
Ate a big bowl of Sopa de Mariscos at Mr Sancho's.

Nothing worse than not being able to get on a top ops boat on short notice.

If you are referring to me, I booked about 1.5 months in advance, figuring that was plenty of time given it was the slow season. Dived 3 straight days, took 1 day off, then another 3 straight days. And I did nitrox for all my dives. And I did have the soup one day.

I think your aldora experience might have been different if you:

Were not there at a very busy time when others couldn't even get you on a boat.
Booked well in advance.
Had at least two divers in your group.
Booked all dive days for the week.
Nitrox for all dives.
Dove with them before.
Requested specific guides that you like.
Ate a big bowl of Sopa de Mariscos at Mr Sancho's.

Nothing worse than not being able to get on a top ops boat on short notice.

If you are referring to me, I booked about 1.5 months in advance, figuring that was plenty of time given it was the slow season. Dived 3 straight days, took 1 day off, then another 3 straight days. And I did nitrox for all my dives. And I did have the soup one day.
Besides, that's quite a list of "what ifs". Why can't a dive op be all things to all divers, not just those who book well in advance, have at least two divers in their group (hard for us solo dorks), go at busier times of the year, shell out extra $$ on nitrox for BOTH dives, book all dive days for the week (hard for us dorks who are only there for less than a week), dove with them before, and requested specific guides. Perhaps these requirements should be listed on the website?

Actually, I have dove with them before and that's why I didn't again :)

But the bowl of soup might have helped.

I have to agree with Lionfish-eater's statement for single divers.... I've given up being appropriately placed since I've started diving alone. I'm not a complainer, and with a few exceptions I was just happy to be underwater, but it can be frustrating. I rarely had these issues when I was with a buddy, a group, or dove every day. In my experience, price made no difference in this respect.

MMM, Sorry, I thought it was a last minute booking. I tried that some years back, just showing up at the shop during Christmas week. Thank you for the very accurate and detailed report.

Reactions: MMM
Dear MMM,

Thanks for the review, too bad your favorite op was booked up. On the subject of dive groups you missed an important difference—that is at Aldora we limit the dive group to 6 divers, not 8. That is not because of boat size, rather it is safer and more enjoyable in smaller groups, especially if doing swim throughs. You also have 25% less chance of being out with an obnoxious diver.

Also, as you noted, we do require the group to stay together during all phases of the dive (Like the PADI DM manual says), and most importantly ascend under the protection of the DMs SMB. I'd bet that the woman who lost a leg a few weeks ago, in retrospect, would have preferred that.

Dave Dilehay
Aldora Divers

Dear MMM,

Thanks for the review, too bad your favorite op was booked up. On the subject of dive groups you missed an important difference—that is at Aldora we limit the dive group to 6 divers, not 8. That is not because of boat size, rather it is safer and more enjoyable in smaller groups, especially if doing swim throughs. You also have 25% less chance of being out with an obnoxious diver.

Also, as you noted, we do require the group to stay together during all phases of the dive (Like the PADI DM manual says), and most importantly ascend under the protection of the DMs SMB. I'd bet that the woman who lost a leg a few weeks ago, in retrospect, would have preferred that.

Dave Dilehay
Aldora Divers

i have wondered about that accident. Was she alone on the surface? Was she with the DM,s marker buoy? I think it would be safe to send divers up independently if Cozumel DM,s used a decent size SMB instead of those wimpy 3 footers with an inch or two of girth. I personally carry a 6 footer with a girth at least double what I see the DM,s use. So maybe the question should be " I wonder what would have happened if I was next to a marker that was more visible.

tom

i have wondered about that accident. Was she alone on the surface? Was she with the DM,s marker buoy? I think it would be safe to send divers up independently if Cozumel DM,s used a decent size SMB instead of those wimpy 3 footers with an inch or two of girth. I personally carry a 6 footer with a girth at least double what I see the DM,s use. So maybe the question should be " I wonder what would have happened if I was next to a marker that was more visible.

tom

There are many stories about what happened - but none of them are that she was run over by the boat speeding along the surface because she didn't have an SMB or was not with a group.

Based on what I have heard (ALL HEARSAY), a good portion of the responsibility lies on the diver for not being aware of her surroundings and where she was surfacing. Again - hearsay - I don't know any first hand accounts nor am I passing judgment or blame. Simply stating what I have heard.

It was a tragic accident and I am sorry for the injuries and trauma incurred by all involved.

The only difference a group ascent would have made is that there would have been multiple leg amputations or worse, overwhelming the ability of the emergency surgeons to perform adequate trauma care and likely resulting in unnecessary deaths. Hence: group ascents are potentially deadly.

I am curious, though, whether the PADI DM manual encourages non-emergency air sharing which obviously distracts the DM and makes him less available in a real emergency, or what the PADI DM manual says about leading untrained divers into overhead environments such as sleeping shark caves.

Dear MMM,

Dave Dilehay
Aldora Divers

Dave - I have to respectfully disagree with you on your point about "what the PADI DM Manual says".

A. PADI is not the only training agency - and therefore not the sole authority on how dives are to be conducted
B. No agency governs how dives are led for certified divers, only for students
C. DM's in the water in CZM is a local law, not a rule or standard by any of the certification agencies
D. The PADI Instructor Manual also states that dives are to be conducted in accordance with local regulations and practices

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom