steel 72's....what to do??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear no weight. So for me, the steels are just heavier.

-P

francousteau:
Why's that??
I jump in (ocean) with doubled steel 100's and have only 4#s on a belt, weight of the tanks and 6# BP. With doubled Al80's, I have 8#'s on the belt, 10#'s v-weight, and 6# BP. I guess I have about 4#'s more in the AL setup than the steels, but with anything less I can't hold @ 15fsw. Point is, I'd rather jump in with the steels.

Back on point, I do like the 72's. I use them singled for inlet dives and they provide plenty of gas and weight out great. YMMV

I could use a 2nd 72 for my daughter. Right now I have an AL80 and a steel 72 she can use, which of course gives her inconsistant weighting & balance on a 2 tank dive. Not so much that I want to eat a lot of expense for one, but when I bump into one around here I'll prolly grab it for her.

Wayward Son:
I could use a 2nd 72 for my daughter. Right now I have an AL80 and a steel 72 she can use, which of course gives her inconsistant weighting & balance on a 2 tank dive. Not so much that I want to eat a lot of expense for one, but when I bump into one around here I'll prolly grab it for her.

They seem to be everywhere...I'm sure you could find one around. If I decide to sell these, I'll let you know as well...(I think it was Perrone who got 1st dibs) :) Maybe you could talk Mr.Bill into shipping that one he's giving away?? :coffee:

I guess I'm amazed you can get them filled, and I can't...

and I live in Ft lauderdale, where there are a LOT of dive shops..

at least none of the padi 5 star facilities want to touch them....

-at first I thought they just wanted to sell new tanks... not so sure after reading some...

I have not had a shop bat an eye at filling mine. They just check the hydro & VIPs & hook it up.

pre-1988 aluminum tanks are a problem at some shops, but haven't seen any issues with steel ones.

I have 2 steel tanks to dispose of... very shortly!

both need hydros, the LP 95 (weight 55#!!!) has air, and a 96 hydro. the steel 72 was empty for several years. and needs hydro too. (would most likely need a tumble)

I took the valve from the 72 as a spare... I guess the valve is worth 5-10bucks(?)

sorry, but I don't want to spend the 30min-45min to goto ups and ship them... (if UPS STORE can take them, ok, that would only kill 15 min, and is very close.... but you'll need to do the homework... its just not worth my time...)

had it not rained this weekend I'd have given them to a local dive shop for free... or maybe a few fills.

PS: stopped a dive shop in keys,sunday, and looked as steel 100's... think I'm now conviced

now what brand... fx 100 was $325, need to read more....

I have had steel 72s filled all over Fla. Sometimes they b--h and belly ache over it cuz they are old. Well, they are also in Hydro and VIP and clean so there is no reason for them not to fill them. No other place from end to end is as diffucult to get tanks filled as Florida. They won't fill aluminum tanks over five years old, they won't fill old 80s that are in hydro with eddy current inspection stamp, they just want to sell you new stuff. These old steel 72 are not heavy in the water like new steel tanks. Any 72s, I will take. N

...Florida won't fill Al80s that are older than 5 years?
:mad: :mad: :mad:

I knew in some places it was 15 years, and that I can understand, but 5...?!?!

Back
Top Bottom