Staying in Playa but wanna dive Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

river_sand_bar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Heading down to Playa Del Carmen in November and looking for a dive op that is based in Playa but will take us to Cozumel.

Are there any dive ops that run their own boats or will I be most likely having to take the ferry over?

Do any of the dive ops do a 3 tank dive on their Cozumel trips?

Any suggestions would be AWESOME!

90% of the ops in PDC have a working relationship with one or more ops on Coz. Check out Scuba Playa first as they were bought earlier this year by one of the Coz operators. Check with Sofia, here on SB as 'divinglife', she works at Scuba Playa and can answer your boating questions. In the past I have taken the ferry over because I thought it was cheaper. If you get a price from someone that will transport direct to a dive site, I would like to know what it is so I can compare. With the speed the ferry makes the crossing I can't imagine that the dive boats, even the big ones Scuba Playa have (also Tank Ha), can do it as efficiently. Keep me posted.

tank ha has own boat. leave playa straight to dive sight, surface off gas , second sight , then back to playa. alot quicker with less hassels .

Hey thanks Ed! As far as I know there is only one shop in downtown Playa that runs their own boat to Cozumel and that's Tank Ha. Its not daily but I would imagine at least once a week. The major advantages would be shorter travel time, only one boat to worry about, and you are not using an outsourced shop. The major disadvantage would be that the channel can get kinda rough if there is a bit of wind (even in the large catamaran ferries it can be unpleasant) so make sure you and your buddy are more than ok in moving seas. Taking the ferry over also gives you the flexibility of staying a little longer in Cozumel after your dives and visiting, shopping, or just grabbing a bite to eat.
Like Ed said, pretty much every shop can set you up with Coz dives but only one will take you straight over there. Hope that can get you started on your search! PM me if you need any more info!

Thanks for all the info guys, from what I can gather, after doing lots of research, we are going to simply take the ferry over and hook up with a dive shop in Cozumel. Then we can spend the afternoon walking around Cozumel and see that place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom