Staying in PDC - Help with diving in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh sure, since you are that close - do a day of it. Try to catch the first ferry, book with a morning trip, do lunch, negotiate a tour maybe with a taxi, go back for dinner. Or maybe Blue Angle still has a 10am boat.

Don't forget the :t-shirt:

Sorry to confuse. I know 2 days in Coz is better than 1, but I was asking if we decide we only want to do one day of diving, than is it worth the hassle to trek over to Coz or should we just dive PDC? I just don't think we are going to want to give up a night and 2 days in PDC as we have other activites planned and only are there for 6 days.

It is worth the hassle for one day but maybe, given your limited experience, diving in PDC for the whole trip will be equally satisfying. It's not like PDC is HORRIBLE! In fact it's very nice. It's just that Coz is better.

Blue Angel had a 'late' boat that went out most days while we were there. They will also run an afternoon trip (1 pm), and a twilight/night trip if they had enough people.

Another option, especially if you're buying a dive package in PDC, is to use an op that brings customers over to Cozumel in their own boat. Tank Ha is one that does and there may be others.

Oh, I thought you were planning to do a lot of diving. If you're only planning to dive 1 day, Coz would be worth it but like Marg said, with you limited experience, PDC would be just as well off. I find it funny that TA folks was saying to avoid it, then again, I think when it comes to reviews/recommendations diving related, TA is downright hilarious! PDC diving is great and for 5 days but 1 day especially, it will not disappoint. Just looks at all the dive ops there... if it really sucked, they wouldn't be in business. Also, south of Tulum is some of the most pristine, unspoiled diving Mexico has to offer in Costa Maya and Mahahaul. I've never gone because I don't like the logistics of getting there but it's definitely on my bucket list.

Oh, I thought you were planning to do a lot of diving. If you're only planning to dive 1 day, Coz would be worth it but like Marg said, with you limited experience, PDC would be just as well off.
I think he meant just one day of Coz rather than two on the island.

Villa Aldora is wonderful! I think you should stay the night on the island. Dave is offering you a great experience with a free nights stay. You would not regret it and most likely want to come back. Even the snorkeling is good in front of the Villa. You can grab a tank and putt, putt around in front as well. Its kind of like a two hour safety stop with a mini wall and lots of juvenile fish to look at.

Villa Aldora

Click here:
Aldora Divers of Cozumel

And here:
Diving Cozumel from the Mayan riviera

The diving:
Cozumel Diving

Thanks so much for the wonderfully detailed information. I'm going to start researching now. If we decide we do not want to stay the night on Coz and just want 1 day of diving, are you guys rec'd that I stay and dive off PDC? When others asked this question on TripAdvisor it seemed most people said dive Coz!!

Thanks again!!!

Depends on whether you can deal with the regret that you didn't do ALL your diving in Coz..... :)

It is worth the hassle for one day but maybe, given your limited experience, diving in PDC for the whole trip will be equally satisfying. It's not like PDC is HORRIBLE! In fact it's very nice. It's just that Coz is better.

Just curious, but why is everyone saying 'given my limited experience'? B/c I have only 35 dives under my belt? I do have my AOW cert and did a 4 day/16 dive live aboard on the GBR. Since I have been to Australia, it's harder to impress me now. I don't mind trekking over to Coz if the 'better' diving is there. We only have 6 nights at the place we've paid for on the beach in PDC so giving up one night (albeit a free night in Coz) is hard to do. It's an incredible offer though. I'm so blown away that they are offering that. Wish I had more time. Next trip!

Just curious, but why is everyone saying 'given my limited experience'? B/c I have only 35 dives under my belt? I do have my AOW cert and did a 4 day/16 dive live aboard on the GBR. Since I have been to Australia, it's harder to impress me now. I don't mind trekking over to Coz if the 'better' diving is there. We only have 6 nights at the place we've paid for on the beach in PDC so giving up one night (albeit a free night in Coz) is hard to do. It's an incredible offer though. I'm so blown away that they are offering that. Wish I had more time. Next trip!
Ok with your GBR experience noted, I think you'd find Coz diving superior to PDC if you do enough at Coz. True, you paid for the PDC room, hope you got a good deal, but if the Coz room was free - what do you lose? I've paid for a Coz room for a week and left it to pay for a second room at Chichen Itza before because the bottom line gave me more for my money. I did leave most of my luggage in the vacant room to save me dragging it over and back.

Either way will work tho. Have a good trip. :pilot:

Back
Top Bottom