Starting a dive boat operation. Kailua-Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EMT John

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I plan on moving to Kailua-Kona next year and would like to start a dive boat operation or at the very least work as a captain on a dive boat until i can start up my business. can anyone please tell me how the dive boat industry is doing in Kona and what to expect? What is the rough pay scale for a dive boat captain? Currently im a commercial fisherman in California and have worked on boats for many years, i also used to work in my family's dive shop. Im looking for a change and start, in my opinion a dream job running a dive boat. Is there anyone here that owns a dive boat business that would let me pick there brain? Thank you for any advice/help.

sorry to say it but they are all thinking, great, another dive op.It might have been wiser if you had not let the left hand know what the right hand was doing. anyway my suggestion is come over on the downlow and investigate it all softly while getting to know people then when you go to make your move based on solid info....do it. be sure to check local laws about permits and such. anymore questions p.m. me.

I kind of agree with Marco here. I applaud your enthusiasm but it would be very hard for a biz owner in Kona to see this post and think.... Oh, I'll just type up a quick response telling him everything he needs to know to be my next door neighbor and compete for the same slim dive dollars I'm after.

Building a business takes of all things time...... be patient, do your homework and work in the industry in Kona for a year or so. Then you might better be able to understand the industry.

Best of luck! The Dive Biz needs more passionate individuals....

G

Thanks for the advise, I had a couple helpful PMs and a few no so helpful PMs. I would like to work in the industry over there first. I just wanted to get a feel for how it all operates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom