Standard o-rings in Apex/Aqualung regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billi

Registered
Reaction score
Hello.

Can anyone tell me if the o-rings used in Aqualung/Apex regulators (1st and 2nd stages) are of standard sizes or they use some proprietary parts?

Thank you.

Which regulator model?
Define 'standard' I doubt if either brand actually mould their own O rings....

By "standard" I meant the sizes you can freely buy form an o-ring supplier.
Actually, I have already found all sizes used in the Apeks line of regulators. Now I am looking for the sizes used in Aqualung's Legend models.

By the way, Apeks uses EDPM duro 80 o-rings. It it safe to replace them with Viton duro 90?

Thank you.

Thanks guys.

For Apeks regulator most o-rings are indeed readily available from many shops.
However, there are 3 that are of less common sizes:

BS606
BS607
BS0151-16

Anybody knows a mail order supplier with those in stock (Viton or EPDM)?

Thanks again.

EPDM 70 o-rings are easier to purchase online than the EPDM 80.
For low pressure application (second stages), people haven't had any problem with using the EPDM 70 o-rings.
You can purchase EPDM 70 o-rings at aoptec.com. Aoptec also carries metric sized Viton 75 o-rings which should work for the second stages.

Since there are important non-o-ring parts (hydrostatic diaphragm, diaphragm, HP valve) in the first stage kits, I figured that it was worth it to just purchase the entire first stage kit. For this reason, I didn't even bother purchasing first stage o-rings separately.

For Legend regulators, I suspect that for o-ring part numbers 820XXX, the "XXX" refers to the 2-XXX sizing of standard o-rings. I deduced this from looking at Aqualung regulator part diagrams and correlating known sized o-rings (e.g., o-ring inside second stage/LP hose connection = 2-010) with the Aqualung part number (820010).

From looking at the Aqualung regulator part diagrams, you'll also see that sometimes Apeks parts are used. These are designated as parts starting with "AP." Relevant to overhauls, you'll note that the LP seat in Aqualung Legend second stages is the same LP seat used in the Apeks second stages (AP2034).

Please share any other info you might find. The rest of us would be very interested.

Hope this helps...

Hello.

Can anyone tell me if the o-rings used in Aqualung/Apex regulators (1st and 2nd stages) are of standard sizes or they use some proprietary parts?

Thank you.
I can't believe how long I've been diving that just very recently I started to explore the o-ring world. I was having problems with tank valves so I was looking through tech manuals. Thermo and XS valves both have J valves and k and Pro delux but not all orings fit the channel exactly. Aqualung has a j valve but there are two different size yoke and the manifold uses a thicker oring. Then there is the o-ring industry. Japanese use JIC system the british use BS which is metric. The aero space industry uses AS568 which means everyone has their own part numbers. XS and Thermo uses 2 different for the same o-ring for the size 014 which is the most common yoke size. Then there's the application to consider. If you dive in pools the chlorine eats the rubber but Viton is chlorine resistant because it has chlorine in it. The the durometer matters if you are diving with high O2 because it's thinner than air. The wrong o-ring could slip out. So if you have different gear you can't just match the size and think you have the right o-ring. Always use the tech manual part and hunt down that specific o-ring.

Thanks Ed Gamboa!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom