standard dependable dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dependable = Suunto

Cheers.

-J.-

Another vote for the Suunto Mosquito,relible,easy to use,inexpensive,and another more important feature is you can change the batteries yourself instead of sending it in and paying more to the factory.

I use a suunto vyper and have had no problems with it. If I needed another computer I would get another vyper. DSS makes a nice wrist mount boot for it also.

I have the Suunto Gekko, its easy to read and use. I was a little nervous about it not having a backlight and using a glowing background instead, but I took it ice diving and wow that sucker glows bright and for a long time. When it did stop glowing all I did was light it up with my light and away it went.

The thing I like about the Suunto's is that its a little more conservative and all the info is on the screen at once.

Suunto Vyper, I have one. Easy to use, reliable, affordable, user can change the batteries. I bought the console and then got a kit to convert it to wrist band. I like the wrist mount a lot better. I can see the screen also.

I was in the same situation. Yesterday, I have bitten the bullet and bought a Suunto Vytec DS with transmitter. I think if you're serious into diving, you will quickly outgrow a Gekko, and I think a D9 is way too expensive for the little extras it brings over the Vytec. Another reason to buy the vytec over the vyper was the RGBM50 algorithm, which is a little less conservative in deeper dives (but you can still choose to use the RGBM100 to your liking) and the deep stop option shaves some time off your deco stops. Also, you can switch between three mixes during the dive.
I considered Oceanic computers (VT3), but here in Europe they're hard to find, let alone get them serviced. Suunto is a better option here.
If you look around, you can get the Vytec with the transmitter for a reasonable price, or even wait to buy the transmitter.
It depends on how serious you are about diving. If you are DIR and over-serious, you could get a Delta P VR3 with trimix and heliox upgrades, although this would not qualify for your 'safe' requirement :wink:

hope this helps!

New to diving and just got certified. I just ordered a D9. ....not with me yet but I am already really pissed about the fact that I cannot replace batts easily (have to go to Suunto dealer apparently to change batts and pressure check)....what a pain...

Another reason why I bought a Vytec :wink: you can simply replace the battery yourself

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom