standard dependable dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FijiBound

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for my first dive computer. I don't need anything fancy, just something that uses safe algorithms, is reliable, and very sturdy. Nitrox compatibility would be nice, but it's not something I know anything about yet. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Thanks a bunch.

well you should plan on getting a computer that can handle your future plans for diving if you are going tech i would get a computer that can handle it. it would suck to buy a computer and have to get another one because you our now out diving the computer. for example a friend of my in now doing advance nitrox and deco her rec. computer doent handle 2 gases and deco. i would recoment a dive rite duo its in expansive and han handle most types of diving till you go full tech its a great rec and semi tech computer

I dive a Suunto Gekko. Easy to read and use. Nitrox compatable. Very conservative dive profiles. My wife uses the more expensive Cobra because she wanted the PC download ability which wasn't important to me.

I recommend the Suunto Vyper. Uses a newer algorithm than most other computers, is downloadable (which is really nice, since I use the printouts as my log book), has a large display, and is available as a console mount or a wrist mount (which I recommend).

Best of luck.

I'll give another vote for Suunto products. While they use a more conservative algorithym than some, I view this as an advantage. They seem to have a minimum of problems reported when compared to other brands. User replacable batteries. I have a Vytec, my buddies have vypers.

FijiBound:
I'm looking for my first dive computer. I don't need anything fancy, just something that uses safe algorithms, is reliable, and very sturdy. Nitrox compatibility would be nice, but it's not something I know anything about yet. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Thanks a bunch.

I was in the same boat after about 800 dives.....Recently bought(for $230) an Oceanic VEO180NX, used it 2 weeks ago in CZM & it preformed along side my buddies VEO ??VT(the air intergrated one) perfectly....for the money, it's a good one.....

Vyper or Vytec, easy to learn and easy to see. They will grow with you.

While I haven't used my Suunto Gekko yet (ow checkout dives in < 2 weeks) I've been using suunto wristop computers and compasses for a long time. I had one of the early Vector prototypes. I'm wearing a subsequent Vector right now. They are a great company and stand behind their products 100%. I took three factors into primary consideration: the conservative algorithm, the easy to ready information /the way info is presented on the watch, and the history of the company. All the positive reviews of the gekko here sealed the deal for me. I can't wait to get it wet.

ditto.

I have a Suunto Mosquito. It's small, takes a licking and keeps working. Plus it's small enough to be used as a wrist watch.

I second the Oceanic VEO 180, I picked one up on E-bay for the wife for 150 and it was new!!

Back
Top Bottom