Computer for new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGil

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,
Looking for some advice. Looking to purchase my fiancee who is a new dive (45 dives) her first computer (she has been renting up to now). My criteria are:
  1. Wrist computer. She wants something that is in a watch form factor and not something like the SW Peregrine
  2. Rechargeable battery. I don't want to deal with changing batteries.
  3. Cost under $600
  4. As a point of reference I dive the SW Teric and wouldn't mind if we used the same algorithm but it's not a must, just preferable.
Thanks
G

Hello,
Looking for some advice. Looking to purchase my fiancee who is a new dive (45 dives) her first computer (she has been renting up to now). My criteria are:
  1. Wrist computer. She wants something that is in a watch form factor and not something like the SW Peregrine
  3. Cost under $600
  4. As a point of reference I dive the SW Teric and wouldn't mind if we used the same algorithm but it's not a must, just preferable.
Thanks
G
Forget the budget cap, get a second Teric – that’d be a match made in heaven!

Plan B: she gets your Teric, you get a new Peregrine

@BoltSnap beat me to it.

The DSAT deco algorithm matches a GF high of 95 pretty well while PZ+ matches a GF high of 85 reasonably well.

The Geo Air with a transmitter (MH8A, compatible with your Teric) is over your budget, but the bundle Oceanic offers saves $150 on the price of a separate transmitter.

Maybe you could find a used Teric.

If you can find a used Garmin Descent MKI I've been very happy with mine. Mine matches my Perdix foot by foot, minute by minute. There's also the Garmin G1.

$350, exactly the same algorithm as your Teric, rechargeable battery.

If you can find a used Garmin Descent MKI I've been very happy with mine. Mine matches my Perdix foot by foot, minute by minute. There's also the Garmin G1.
This was going to be my recommendation. Can use the G1 out of the water as well, though I would say that the G1 style may not be what she’s looking for. MK1 may also be too large. But, the G1 fits the budget.

MK2s is a bit more elegant looking. Definitely over the budget, but maybe not too far out. There’s currently a rebate through Garmin. $50 off a G1, $100 off an MK2s. If you have a discount program at work, you may also be able to get 20% off. That brings it down to around $700.
  3. Cost under $600
The Garmin G1 hits all 4 of your points. The other Garmins hit all but number 3. I use both a Shearwater Perdix and a Garmin MK2s. They use the same algorithm, same default presets, or custom GFs. They agree in just about every sense. The only real difference I noted is that the Garmin is more sensitive to ascent rate, but that’s not a bad thing.

Thank you all for your prompt and detailed responses. I'll update once I make a purchase which should happen in the next few weeks.

Old post, but I had a Teric and was obsessed. I'm sure you can find a used one for a decent price now vs when I bought mine last year. The only reason I sold mine was that I took a break from diving and needed the extra money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom