Closed Cheap Men's undergarment

Sold or no longer available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vivoazzurro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello đź‘‹

Looking for a good starter undergarment for my first drysuit. Looking for something good in 50-60° water... No artic diving as of yet. If it helps I'll most likely fit well into mediums.

Budget $250 total. If you have anything please let me know! I'm not too concerned about condition

www.Seaskin.co.uk

You can get a made to measure 150 or 250 thinsulate undergarment for pretty inexpensive. They're not the greatest undergarments but are great starter pieces for the price. They're about $250 shipped for the 250 and $215 shipped for the 150 right now.

That or buy a used setup from someone, ewww

I started out with single-layer Polartec fleece jacket and pants from REI - think I found them on a clearance rack. Invest in a wicking base layer (Underarmour cold gear or similar) - you'll like that under whatever layers you use, and nice to have if you're diving dry in a pool or such for testing/training where you don't want much/any insulation.

I started out with single-layer Polartec fleece jacket and pants from REI - think I found them on a clearance rack. Invest in a wicking base layer (Underarmour cold gear or similar) - you'll like that under whatever layers you use, and nice to have if you're diving dry in a pool or such for testing/training where you don't want much/any insulation.
I use REI fleece for water above 70F, not in the temps the OP mentioned. Brrr. I guess it depends on one's cold tolerance.

www.Seaskin.co.uk

You can get a made to measure 150 or 250 thinsulate undergarment for pretty inexpensive. They're not the greatest undergarments but are great starter pieces for the price. They're about $250 shipped for the 250 and $215 shipped for the 150 right now.

That or buy a used setup from someone, ewww
That option is extremely enticing. I might actually go with this, especially for the custom fit. Thank you!

Layers, a great base layer is waffle fleece styled on u.s. cold weather gear and or wool. I usually have 3 layers, trapped air keeps you warm, layers allow for adjustment based on temp’s.
Very true. I'll have to do some experimenting while I dive to figure out what is comfortable for me. I usually have a very high tolerance for the cold and have dove plenty of times in 50° water with a wetsuit only!

I will try to use the waffle top and bottoms next time as well. I have a few pairs sitting around already! Thank you

For something to get started, might also consider just popping on amazon, look up the 4th Element Arctic top and bottom separates. They are on closeout by multiple sellers on amazon right now because the 2024 versions were just released. You can get top and bottom for like $112 each which is in your budget. Sizing guides on 4th element were pretty accurate, dead on for me anyway, and with free returns you can send them back and try again if they don't fit quite right. Normally I'd suggest trying on various undergarments at your local dive shop, but they're not going to come close to your budget, so throw 'em a bone on a different purchase.

For something to get started, might also consider just popping on amazon, look up the 4th Element Arctic top and bottom separates. They are on closeout by multiple sellers on amazon right now because the 2024 versions were just released. You can get top and bottom for like $112 each which is in your budget. Sizing guides on 4th element were pretty accurate, dead on for me anyway, and with free returns you can send them back and try again if they don't fit quite right. Normally I'd suggest trying on various undergarments at your local dive shop, but they're not going to come close to your budget, so throw 'em a bone on a different purchase.
Nice, I'm able to see those there. How are they comfort wise for you and what is your insulation setup like? I'm trying to figure out what I might need for my temp range.

I'm 5'9 200lb
Nice, I'm able to see those there. How are they comfort wise for you and what is your insulation setup like? I'm trying to figure out what I might need for my temp range.
I'm 5'9 200lb with a long torso and short legs, and getting a Large top with Large Short bottoms fits like a glove. Not baggy or tight anywhere and I don't think I'll have any problems reaching valves. My new drysuit doesn't arrive for another week or two, and I won't have a chance to dive these undergarments until Mother's day weekend "Here's some flowers mom, see ya later going diving!", at which point I'll share a full review, but you don't have to take my word for it, 4th element specifically recommends Arctics in the 50-60f (10-16c) range you're talking about and you can find 100 reviews of 4E Arctic undergarments here on scubaboard, some people love them, some people prefer other undergarments. I just wanted to point them out as an option, since I couldn't turn down the price personally for new undergarments for a new drysuit. If I dive anything between 35f and 45f next winter, I'll probably pop for a 1pc Halo AR from 4th element, but I'm expecting these will meet my spring-fall needs in the midwest quite nicely.

They are essentially a thicker poly fleece, and quite comfortable, but I might consider running a light ringspun polyester or thin wool wicking layer underneath, wouldnt need a scuba brand name on them, just something to pull any perspiration off your skin, like an underarmor or merino wool base layer.

Back
Top Bottom