• I was taught 1/3rds but dive 1/2+200

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I was taught both/dive both

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bet I can swap a reg faster than you can shut off an isolator :)
You might could, but is the risk of losing an oring or ruining a working spg really worth it?

You might could, but is the risk of losing an oring or ruining a working spg really worth it?

I was talking about 2nd stages.

For me to have the need to swap the entire regulator setup... I'd have to lose the gas in one tank, then lose the regulator off the other... and be diving solo(which I don't).

If that happened to you in BM, what would you do?

I think a very light tap on the "pitch hub" while moving allows you to match speeds effectively with very little stopping and starting.

Plus most double scooter dives I'm aware of would have multiple stage bottles in the cave and I guess you'd be off the long hose by the time you're back to the scooter drop, no?

Well, yes, you can do that, and its pretty effective...

But try that while in tethered to a longhose in some sort of touch contact. Plus, do you really want to stick your hand in there if you don't have to? If you bump it and your scooter slows too much, you both have to stop, readjust the prop, get back in position and go. Once again, in a shallow cave, you can get away with that, but in a deep one? Nope. And still, if you mess up and suck up a rock and break a prop, you're up the creek again, and you have to swap out to your tow scooter and do the same procedure all over again. Or just tow out. Max tow out time is what? 45 mins for a 35ah Gavin? Thats the MAX.

On a real multi-scooter dive, ideally you would (should) have safety bottles, which once again switch things up (you have 77cuft of gas per bottle now instead of the meager 32, which would allow you both ride out independently).

Riding out tethered to a long hose trying to keep speed and turn in sync just doesn't afford the options that towing does. The best plan is to make it so you never have to tow, using backup scooter(s), backgas in reserve, and safety bottles at each stage drop. This allows you to go twice as slow on exit as you did on the way in, and provides a sizable buffer if things go wrong. With that much stuff in the water, chances of something going tits up gets higher and higher.

I'd stop playing hypothetical situations that won't ever happen in real life. :wink:

handing off stages isn't the way I want to be handling out of gas emergencies. burn that stage up and get rid of it. it just slows you down

Why just go out of gas once? If you share stages you get to go OOA multiple times

I'm probably just being dense, but I keep coming back to these two statements and wondering what I'm missing.

Why are you running out of gas on stages that should be 1/2+ to 2/3's full and why would you prefer handing off a long hose vs. handing off a stage and letting them get sorted out on their own gas supply?

I was talking about 2nd stages.

For me to have the need to swap the entire regulator setup... I'd have to lose the gas in one tank, then lose the regulator off the other... and be diving solo(which I don't).

cry, because I'm having a terrible terrible day.

but when I stopped I'd borrow aj's wrench and switch it out. :wink: it can be done pretty quickly. don't ask how I know :p

I'd stop playing hypothetical situations that won't ever happen in real life. :wink:

Isn't that exactly what you asked me? Why is it more hypothetical in BM, than SM? :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom